The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Can I use a 91-94 turbo ECU in my 90 AWD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo442

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I recall throwing a 91 FWD turbo California ECU in my 90 AWD turbo Federal car. I got a check engine light (missing a piece of CA emission hardware) and the tach read incorrectly. Does any one remember the procedure for correcting the tach reading? Will this reading mess up my SAFC as well? Basically I am looking for an EPROM ECU. Being able to use 90-94 ECUs would widen my search options.

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/ecuconversion.html

Any 1G Turbo EPROM ECU can be made to work in your car but the '90 ones will be easiest.
I'm assuming you will get a new chip or be running 1G DSMlink.

The SAFC RPM input doesn't seem to be effected by the differences in the tach signal between '90 and '90+ cars, so if your willing to live with a funky tach you can just swap the two ECU pins to run a later ECU. (Don't cut the wires! The pins pop right out of the connector with a jewelers screwdriver to lift the retainer)

If you need ECU part numbers to figure out what's from what.

Steve

Last edited:
Anyone know if I could use the tach and coil pack from a 91-94 non turbo. They are pretty common in the J-yards.

Turbo442 said:
Anyone know if I could use the tach and coil pack from a 91-94 non turbo. They are pretty common in the J-yards.
The Coil and PTM are common, the Tach has a different part number but I don't know if that is due to different electrical properties or just a different face between the two.

Steve

I'm running a 91 eprom ecm, 91 coil pack, 92 transistor and a 93 cluster on my 90 AWD. everything works great. I did the conversion according to that link a few posts up, but like they said don't cut the ecu pins, way easire to pull them out and switch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back