The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

can i take the cam silencer out of the valve cover?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95eagletalontsiawd

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2012
Norwood, Missouri
the paints old on my valve cover and i was going to sand blast it and repaint it but i didnt want to get sand stuck in behind the valve cover cam silencer so can i just remove it? and if i can what would be the result from doing so?

Thanks,
Dustin

Do you mean the baffle on the underside of the valve cover?

If so, yes you can remove it. It's recommended to then replace it with an aftermarket aluminum baffle (stock one is steel - won't weld back up to aluminum valve cover). You can contact greengoblin about the aftermarket unit as he's the one who sells them.

If you don't replace it and your engine has a lot of blow by, you'll get a lot of oil going through your valve cover vent port and your PCV valve. Not good. Definitely replace it if you remove it.

Or you can soda blast the valve cover which is safe to use as it'll dissolve in water.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back