1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

ECMlink Can i run a gst ecu with link in my N/A spyder

Posted by DSM_delinquency, Oct 29, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. DSM_delinquency

DSM_delinquency Probationary Member

Joined Feb 24, 2020
    riorancho, New Mexico
    So this may seem like a stupid question but im genuinely curious if i could run a gst ecu with link on my N/A spyder.The reason i ask is because im putting together my turbo kit for my car and my first things to buy are my wide band(coming in this Friday) and a gst ecu with link.Since I'll need them when i put the turbo on with everything else. But since its gonna be awhile till i get the whole kit assembled and since my car is a daily for rn. Could i use the gst ecu to tune my car as it is rn just to get it running a little better and start to familiarize myself on tuning before i throw a turbo on and need my tuning skills to be pretty on point.
    Im pretty sure it won't work because the ecu will be freaking out because its expecting the values for the turbo. But its something ive been wondering and would want to know what all the more experienced DSMers think about this idea.

62  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Yes, A GST black box ecu will work with your NA Spyder. However, GST and GSX ecu's are designed to provide ground to the fuel pump on Pin #8, so you'll have to verify if you need to run a new ground. There are at least a couple threads here on Tuners that will walk you through that procedure.

The tune (values) loaded into a used black box ecu will be wrong for your NA engine right now. It might run, it might run poorly, or it might not run at all. It would be better to get all of the mechanical pieces installed and then the ecu can work using your own values as you start to change the Link settings.

The GSTs and GSXs have knock sensors threaded into the back of the block, so you will need to add that, and the wiring to the ecu, in order for the black box to factor that signal in while you are tuning.

Drag Race Build 1K  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  6

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

3K  6

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    385 whp · 378 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795 likes this.
  3. DSM_delinquency

Joined Feb 24, 2020
    riorancho, New Mexico
    Ok yeah i knew it was a long shot i was planning on using a 97 gst ecu with ecm link not a black box since there's more support for tuning with ecm link i don't think this would make a difference but if so LMK.

62  3

manual · 2G DSM
  4. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Sorry, was so focused on the ecu application details that I skipped skipped right over the fact that you were referring to a metal case ecu.

The same fuel pump grounding and knock sensor information applies, but I would also verify the firing order between the two ecu’s. If you need to change it, you can either swap ecu pin locations, or change it in Link.

Again, you’ll find threads here dealing with the very same issue and you can read how those members made their changes.

Best of luck with your project. Go ahead and document your work to help others that may want to do the same thing.

Drag Race Build 1K  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  6

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

3K  6

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    385 whp · 378 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  5. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    2g ecu's use passive knock sensing, if your using a 2g ecu without a turbo you wont necessarily need a knock sensor wired in since it doesn't currently have one.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. DSM_delinquency

Joined Feb 24, 2020
    riorancho, New Mexico
    Yeah that's what i was thinking and with link wouldnt you just have to go in and change the maps and fuel injectors ect up to match the values of the N/A ecu. It would be alot of work to copy and paste all that data but in theory it should run the same as the other ecu thats already in the car since the gst ecu should just plug into the stock harness.

62  3

manual · 2G DSM
  7. DSM_delinquency

Joined Feb 24, 2020
    riorancho, New Mexico
    Thanks for your help I'll definitely do my reading

62  3

manual · 2G DSM