The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

can I pull E brake on AWD 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxGdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 12, 2007
bellingham, Washington
Okay, i have searched and not found much concise info on this question.
The snow has arrived and i have recently picked up a set of great snow tires and I would like to go have fun in the snow. I went out a couple of days back and got comfortable sliding around. Occasionally at slow speeds i would give the e brake a quick pull to get the back end to break loose then I would gas it to get the rear to come around.

After some research is seems this is okay, but I want people with actual knowledge to chime in on this before I go out and have more fun.

anyone who has worked on the AWD system, raced our cars or just has extensive knowledge could you please advise? I have read plenty of posts by "JDMthugX" or some other wanker with his opinion but i want to tap into some actual knowledge.:thumb:

You don't need to use an ebrake to get the car to spin around. Not even on dry ground... Just clutch it and WOT.

I don't suggest taking your car and beating it in this ugly weather, But it's your choice, Obviously I guess it all depends how people like to take care of their car.

just give it a good clutch kick i do this when the front tires run out of grip gets the back end around. of course only when i have to at lower speeds i do not condone wreckless driving

just turn slightly and hit the gas, don't need to use ebrake or 'clutch it', the car will drift in the snow fairly easily.

I do this in my 96 which is my awd winter beater, its plenty fun. I do it in just parking lots though where they is no one around after hours.

okay so i guess what i meant was is it mechanically bad for our type of AWD layout versus say an evo or skyline. I know its not the best thing but after a half hour of fun will i have to worry about toasting thrustbearings and friction surfaces etc?

as for vehicle dynamics im no expert but i understand the clutch dumping technique. But the ebrake locks up the rear pretty exclusively as a clutch dump still tries to break loose all 4 wheels thus inducing understeer at slow speeds, this is why i ask if it is okay for the ebrake tug.

I would imagine clutch dumping is harder on the car than a quick tug on the ebrake at low speeds.

I should also add that i did go play in a parking lot in the middle of BFnowhere for about an hour and a half and got pretty good at the whole sliding in a controlled manner. I just noticed at times a quick tug at the ebrake in a few instances helped upset the cars balance front to rear and then i would gas it to get the rear end around. after all of this fun i realized that I heard somewhere that our cars mechanically arent set up for ebrake shenanigans without problems. SO, i wanted to check.

Kind of an old thread, but this interests me as well with rallyx. I would think as long as you pop the clutch in when the e-brake is pulled you should be golden. Or just learn the scand. flick. Using the e-brake can help in certain situations though.

AWD DSMs have a viscous center differential, in which a heavy silicone fluid undergoes frictional heating and expansion in order to lock front and rear diffs at the same input speed. When one side of the center diff spins and the other doesn't, the fluid gets hot and creates friction against the opposite side, this is why you can't tow an AWD DSM with only one set of wheels off the ground.

In theory, playing with the e-brake is bad for the center diff. However whether it causes damage will probably depend on how aggressive you are and how much traction is available at the front wheels. If you do it repeatedly, the fluid will get hot and you'll most likely do some damage. I would recommend against using it to induce drifting in any situation.

Most rally cars use a stronger center diff, I can't see many rally drivers abusing the relatively weak stock center vicous coupling.

like delta said, it is a bad idea!!! is that fun sliding around worth replacing the center diff? the only time i ever touch the e-brake on my car is for parking and launching purposes ONLY. when i had my "fun" in the snow i never used the handle to whip it around. just practice the brake and throttle and you will figure it out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back