The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Can I install an 255 walbro fuel pump without a fuel pressure regulator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platanopower

Probationary Member
Aug 20, 2011
Cary, North_Carolina
I know is good to install a fuel pressure regulator when installing a 255 walbro fuel pump but my money is low after buying some goodies for my 1g. So my question is, has anyone run a 255 walbro fuel pump without an fpr and if so what kind of problems did it created

I see no reason to run one unless your stock is bad. I'm running a 255 with an N/A regulator just fine.

ok....check this out:

I installed a wally 255 and FIC 750's and within a few months the FPR couldnt keep up and it started PUSHING the fuel line OFF the fuel rail return nipple from the overpressure.....I checked on something else under the hood (thank GOD) and saw the line was almost off the fuel rail. it was starting to leak fuel from so much pressure. It was literally expanding the line and blowing past. it was on by maybe 1/8" of the last part of the nipple.....that would have been an engine bay fire like u have never seen while driving down the road.

GET THE $200 REGULATOR. GET IT NOW. I bought the fuel lab one and I love that thing. works wonderfully.

HaveBlue83 said:
ok....check this out:

I installed a wally 255 and FIC 750's and within a few months the FPR couldnt keep up and it started PUSHING the fuel line OFF the fuel rail return nipple from the overpressure.....I checked on something else under the hood (thank GOD) and saw the line was almost off the fuel rail. it was starting to leak fuel from so much pressure. It was literally expanding the line and blowing past. it was on by maybe 1/8" of the last part of the nipple.....that would have been an engine bay fire like u have never seen while driving down the road.

GET THE $200 REGULATOR. GET IT NOW. I bought the fuel lab one and I love that thing. works wonderfully.

+1 on that. It's a matter of math. More pressure will alter the function and wear of the sock parts.
If the stock parts are close to failure or just old the increased pressure will tax the regulator more than if it was running stock pressure.

If the FPR normally sees base pressures of 37psi and your new fuel pressure is let say 55psi than it's now regulating 1 and a half times more pressure than it was designed to do. And for that matter the whole system is working at 1.5 times the design pressure.

Can you get away with not using one? Sure some have without incident. Should you? IMO no. For the reason that you may not be one of the lucky ones and catch your fuel line an 1/8 of an inch from popping off. Lol guess it depends if your a gambling kinda person.

ok....check this out:

If there was sufficient pressure to push that off then something else was wrong because you can take a pair of needle nose pliers and pinch the flow off easily. If you want proof, drain your tank like a lot of people do at the track, the fuel barely bubbles out of a stock fpr, it certainly doesnt fly out.

Well got the 255 fuel pump installed and the car is running great no issue to report, thanks everyone for your feedback it helped me make a good decision.

Just get the AFPR. I am.

I've been using the stock FPR on a Wally 255 for over a year, and the previous owner did the same for a year prior to me owning it. I've had no issues, but its time to do things right. So I'm going to buy the Fuel Lab AFPR kit from STMTuned.com

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I talked with the Tuner who is going to tune my AEM ems and he said that i dont need it using the AEM ems.

Not that your Really need a AFPR as said... .

But, you have a AEM EMS and paying someone to Tune it on top of that and your skimping on a FPR? WTF

Not that your Really need a AFPR as said... .

But, you have a AEM EMS and paying someone to Tune it on top of that and your skimping on a FPR? WTF[/QU

Yes, If the time come that i need one i will buy one but right now is working fine so im not worrying about it.

i am running a walbro 255lph in my 1g talon, stock fuel pressure regulator,stock injectors, stock tune. I plan on purchasing a AFPR this winter as well as DSM link to install my 650cc injectors and tune it. any recomendations on my engine mangment choice? not very implied on electric engine managment. Also what AFPR should i use with my walbro 255 and my 650cc injectors? thanks guys!

I went with 255 walboro fuel pump, PTE 550cc injectors, AEM Fuel Rail, Fuel Lab FPR, all I can say untuned is horrible gas mileage, smells and runs really rich, and I sometimes hit fuel cut and in first gear I can only push 10psi of boost but all the other gears 15 psi I wish I never messed with the fuel good luck tho I guess with the right tune you can make nasty power.

why bigger injectors? i know 450cc is stock, and th 650s look way different. and its my daily, all about the mpg! thanks for your input bro!

Because Why buy injectors twice? If you already bought them then run them but if not for not much more money you'll be saving money in the long run.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back