The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Can car get untuned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicks

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2017
New York, New_York
Hey Guys,

Had this question lingering. When I got my car, it was running what I believed was fine, then over time it started getting progressively worse doing shakes, stalling, weird idle, to finally not wanting to stay on. I had someone take a look at the car and do some idle, fuel and timing adjustment among other things and the car went from not staying one and sounding horrible to A LOT better place.

So my question is, without no modification what could be the causes for a car go from running to not turning on/staying on tune wise? Can the car just get untuned or unadjusted? Is that something that needs to be performed every once in a while?

I don't know about un-tuned, but I'm sure it can be. This is why cars need to be in perfect running order before getting tuned. A boost leak can throw off the tune even after. However, if you get it tuned, then change parts like injectors or something, you'll need to get re-tuned.

Yes I figured. It had a few boost leaks and other minor things that needed to take care. I guess that threw the tune out of alignment and bogged it down real bad.

Common problems can be boost leaks (most likely) and sensors (maf) going bad over time. it also depends on what you have to tune.
Yep had a maf go bad and it took a min to track the problem .I thought it was a boost leak at first but did leak down . It was solid ..nope stupid maf went bad

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back