The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Can blow-by cause oil pan bolts to lossen up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertrenolds

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2010
savage, Minnesota
I've re-sealed my oil pan a few times now but the problem I am really having is that after I torque down my oil pan bolts after a few weeks of driving they keep comming lose. I used a thread sealant last time, used red high strength this time, but if they loosen again could blow by be causing the oil pan bolts to come loose and leak? I am asking because after a google search I came across someone saying that it happend to them but there wasn't a response or anything so the answer was up in the air..

Short answer, no. There is no way for pressure to cause the bolts to back out. You are sealing the pan wrong if it is leaking. Are you using a gasket or rtv? IF properly sealed you will have to literally pry the pan off to break the seal.

The actual bolts keep backing out/ untorquing themselves. I'm using a felpro gasket with RED rtv on both sides. You answered my question, I am guessing that red thread lock with do the trick then. The last thread lock I used was the high temp thread lock for bolts that block off fluid passages and when I pulled them out the threads were clean so obviously it didn't work.

The problem is that you are using a gasket. That will cause them to back out every time because you can't put the proper torque on the bolts and not squish the gasket out. Also take that red rtv and throw it in the trash. You need to get a tube of mega grey and clean the pan and block. Before you apply the rtv clean both surfaces with acetone, alcohol, brake cleaner, or some other cleaner that evaporates. To get a proper seal it can have no oil on it. From there, put a bead all away around the pan. You don't need much. Than take your finger and spread it around the pan rail so that you have a nice coating all the way around. Now while the rtv is still wet install it and torque the bolts down. Some people like to let it tack up, but i do not, it doesn't allow the rtv to bold properly to the block. Also you are likely to squish hardened rtv out and have a leak. It is just in there to fill in the imperfections, not to be a gasket. You will also want to let it dry for at least 10 hours before you put oil on it, preferably longer.

You are not going to cause leaks tightening them too tight with rtv. If you use a gasket yes it will squish the gasket out, but the worst that will happen with rtv is that you will snap the bolt off.

True, if the oil pan had center bolts to mount it on to the block, the outer edge of the pan would seal with no problem with a gasket (like the rocker cover of a 4G37 with the two center bolts and no bolts on the outside-the edge of the cover then seals completely), but, the oil pan uses what called 'a pinch type' sealing where all bolts have to be torqued exactly and no gasket to push the 'pinch' apart is used.

To torque proerly: put all bolts in their holes, then do the "star method" where opposite bolts are gradually tightened down in steps. You snug one down, then the opposite bolt get's snugged down, then over three bolts and snug that one down and the once across, snug that one down...and so forth. Then return to the first bolt and snug that one down a little bit more and repeat. On your final snug, is when you do the required torque range still doing the "star method" ...this pretty well gets all the bolts evenly tightened down.

You use the gasket sealant silicone stuff with both surfaces smooth and clean.

Good luck-DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back