The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Can AWD DSM be safely towed on just one axle any distance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I park my AWD DSM on the street, having no other viable choice at present. Which is fine, I rarely have a problem finding a nearby and safe spot. But they're probably going to repave my street within the next few weeks, and I'm probably going to be away during that time, and if I can't make arrangements with a friend or neighbor to move the car then, they'll just tow it to a nearby street and notify me of the location.

Thing is, they're almost certainly going to use a standard tow truck that lifts just one axle or set of wheels, most likely the front, and I doubt they'll know or care to make accommodations for AWD vehicles that should have both axles and all 4 wheels off the ground for tows.

If this turns out to be the case, can it be safely towed a couple of blocks without damaging the trans, t-case, driveshaft or rear diff, or anything else, especially one of the two LSDs? Or is even a few feet bad for the drivetrain?

Actually, another issue is that I usually lock the shifter and steering wheel, especially when I'm away from the car, which would make any kind of towing impossible. But I can probably have a neighbor unlock those before it's towed, then relock them. Maybe.

I should probably put it in a lot or ask a neighbor or someone if I can keep it in their driveway, but in case that's not possible, I'd like to know what I'm dealing with here.

...I just realized that I could just detach the driveshaft from the rear diff by removing the 4 bolts that connect them, and suspend it with wire so it doesn't drag, then remove both CV axles so the rear wheels freewheel and don't turn the rear diff. Would that work, and allow them to safely tow the car, and if so with either axle raised, or preferably raise the front?

Last edited:
They would need a dolly for each of the rear wheels and lift the front or disconnect and remove the rear driveshaft but you will loose the transfer case fluid.
A Flatbed truck would be fine.

They would need a dolly for each of the rear wheels and lift the front or disconnect and remove the rear driveshaft but you will loose the transfer case fluid.
How would I lose t-case fluid if I just disconnected the driveshaft at the rear diff? I'd also remove the rear axles so the rear diff doesn't turn and burn.

I definitely wouldn't risk it getting towed buy an unknown company. They won't do you any favors. It might even get taken to their tow lot.
Does it run? Can you park it at your work or friends house? Maybe just a few blocks over?

Alternatively you can tow it with a strap as long as all four wheels are on the ground.

How would I lose t-case fluid if I just disconnected the driveshaft at the rear diff? I'd also remove the rear axles so the rear diff doesn't turn and burn.
If you disconnected it at the transfer case instead. No need to worry about the axles as long as the driveshaft spins freely. There's no way they'd tow it with only the left or right side on the ground.

The drive shaft isn't going to fall out of the tcase if you disconnect it at the rear diff. If you disconnect the drive shaft at the rear diff you won't burn up your rear diff.

Well.......it "could" fall out of the transfer case and it would be the center dif/vicous coupler that would get burned up if not towed properly.

Getting mixed responses here so I'm going to do whatever I can to avoid any of this being necessary. I just realized that one other way to avoid this is to park it on one of the streets that already got paved, and hope that people who live on it won't report it to the police if it's there more than a week or two and have it towed for different reasons. NYC is tow company heaven.

I also called the local DOT to check on repaving schedules and they said it doesn't look like my street's due this year. So maybe I'll keep it where it is and ask a neighbor I trust who drives stick to move it for me if it gets paved.

This all reminds me of that scene from Airplane where Lloyd Bridges says "I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue" as stuff hit the fan--literally.

I would avoid having it towed at any cost. Put it in a nearby garage for a week if you have to.
I'll be gone for way more than a week so not a viable option, parking's super expensive in the NYC area plus not necessarily secure. I checked and it looks like they won't be repaving our street this year after all, but just in case I'll probably arrange with a friend or neighbor to move it if necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back