The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can ANYONE tell me what kind of a ET difference a FMIC provided???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxtacy

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2002
Clovis, New_Mexico
Just like the subject says:

I am curious if anyone went to the track after their turbo upgrade then upgraded the intercooler, and went to the track again.

I am on the verge of 12's in street tune/weight, and just wanna see the differences. (any turbo upgrade, any generation)

Yes I searched before posting.

GSXTACY

I don't believe this can be answered. I ran a 12.8 on the stock smic at 17 psi. However my fuel mods are 650s, safc, 255 pump, and afpr. The only thing keeping me from turning the boost to like 22-23 was the stock intercooler. I have seen people run 11s with my setup plus a fmic. I could have dropped a full second from this mod. It all depends on what other mods you have as well. FMIC is definitly worth it.

A FMIC will not give you a huge gain immediatly, what it does is allows you to run more boost safely, and that is where you get the power. you can gain 50hp or more depending on your setup with tunning and an FMIC

Originally posted by 1LE
Well, if I get a FMIC I'll let you know... 12.8 is the best for the car, stock SMIC, 16g @14psi on pump gas.
WTF? 12.8 on 14 psi? :|

JDM FMIC on my galant was the best single mod I did and it is no bigger than a StarQuest intercooler. It reduced knock to near zero, I can run more boost, and I think the turbo spools quicker. No doubt I could feel the difference "seat of the pants".

John

My car is definally peppier with my new FMIC. Didn't get to go to track past weekend due to rain but I'll soon findout the result.

Originally posted by 14.5 drift
WTF? 12.8 on 14 psi? :|

Built motor - higher compression, ported everything, etc... Should be safe to 16-18psi on pump gas, but I leave it down at 14psi so I don't cook the thing at track days - not that I've actually made it to any recently :( .

Originally posted by 1LE
Built motor - higher compression, ported everything, etc... Should be safe to 16-18psi on pump gas, but I leave it down at 14psi so I don't cook the thing at track days - not that I've actually made it to any recently :( .
Did you swaqp out the pistons or deck the head?

Sounds like my old break in settup :D

I was doing 13.0's@105 on a bonestock cracked to hell 14b@ 15psi, gotta love compression and a nice cool charge of air. :thumb:

Originally posted by coltboostin
A FMIC will not give you a huge gain immediatly, what it does is allows you to run more boost safely, and that is where you get the power. you can gain 50hp or more depending on your setup with tunning and an FMIC

thats pretty much the answer.

without the fmic things can start getting heatsoaked, and thatll be a problem.

Originally posted by coltboostin
at over 9.0 to 1, have fun whaching the knock rise as you rase the boost! I hope that intake charge is nice and cool

Yep. That's why mine's staying down at 14psi :) It's not setup for drag racing. I need power at lower rpms coming out of corners and will sacrifice boost for it. If you're into drag racing, low compression, high boost is the way to go!

Originally posted by 1LE
Yep. That's why mine's staying down at 14psi :) It's not setup for drag racing. I need power at lower rpms coming out of corners and will sacrifice boost for it. If you're into drag racing, low compression, high boost is the way to go!
I'm very interested to know what you did to lower your cr. I dont plan on big hp, maybe 300 awhp, basically my goals are to find consistent high 12's but to have a very linear powerband that is good for street driving. Hit me up a pm with your setup if you could, thanks.

A fmic will not help unless you are exeding the smic your using. I didnt gain anything but a more consistant trap speed and a 1mph-2mph gain with my fmic from a suprasidemount. But i did make 18 more whp.

Before fmic 20psi pump gas supra sidemount 13.01@100

Best after fmic 20psi pump gas [email protected]

hey newb2dsm those are nice times one question though were those 1.7 60fts made on your stock clutch????? ps sorry for the mini hijack

Originally posted by NewB2dsm
A fmic will not help unless you are exeding the smic your using. I didnt gain anything but a more consistant trap speed and a 1mph-2mph gain with my fmic from a suprasidemount. But i did make 18 more whp.

Before fmic 20psi pump gas supra sidemount 13.01@100

Best after fmic 20psi pump gas [email protected]

That makes sense to me. The supra sidemount will only be hurting in the top-end which is why you picked up a few mph.

FWIW-On my pte 50 trim I logged and airflow increase of about 1.5-2lb/min at the same boost level by switching from the stock smic to a dejon race fmic. This was at 20 psi. That by itself would be worth a couple mph. Now the big gain would be from the cooling, which I am sure would be a lot at that airflow level(20 psi from a 50 trim).

Originally posted by Turbo Monk3y
hey newb2dsm those are nice times one question though were those 1.7 60fts made on your stock clutch????? ps sorry for the mini hijack

No the 1.7x were done on a custom clutch but is now avaible to everybody through ams, the feramic disc.

I am still hopping to hit 12.9s on pump gas and full weight. Im going to go one more time and see if i can. If not or if i do, next time race gas is going in and im pulling everything i can out of the car (spare tire and that crap)

That actually works out according to the rule of thumb 10hp=1mph trap. You picked up 2mph and 18whp.

John

Originally posted by atc250r
That actually works out according to the rule of thumb 10hp=1mph trap. You picked up 2mph and 18whp.

John

yea but wouldnt you think id get a better et as well? but oh well it is a 12 second car if i put in the 110 for sure..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back