The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Can a N/A 2.0 FWD TCU work on my turbo AWD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1slw3sgte

Proven Member
Jul 3, 2020
Los Angeles, California
Just got a 91 turbo awd auto like a week ago. He sold it to me with the car on limp mode (3rd gear only). I checked for codes and not even a pulse from the diag port. I opened it and a cap had leaked and there was 12v in the circuit (shock). So I buy another 91 turbo AWD TCU on eBay and same story. So I went to the junk yard and got a 91 N/A 2.0 FWD TCU (MD750525). I plug it in and it works, at least, but there is a problem. First is good, shifts to second and it’s good, shifts to third and it’s good for a couple seconds until it like disengages or free revs then goes back into 3rd, will not shift to 4th or overdrive. Then after a bit it goes into limp mode.

Is this due to the NA TCU? Would like to know y’all opinions. If anyone has a 91 TCU (MD750092) in SoCal lmk

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To answer the thread question yes, you can use the n/t TCU in an awd dsm. The shift points will just be a little bit different.

You are 100% describing internal issues with the trans. Hard to tell what the random piece is but suffice to say something isn’t kosher. Could always pull the end clutch assembly as well. If they’re smoked or damaged it’ll throw the tcu into limp mode as well because it won’t actually go into OD.

Cracked is correct, you can use it.
Thr shift points is a good point, they probably are different. Id have to really dig if u wanted the actual shift points. Also throttle position has a huge role. Cruising vs wot the shift points are different. On ur average everyday car as well as a dsm for reference.

If a n/t tcu is what you can find, use that.

If the TCU is a MD750092, I have one for sale. It went off classifieds about a month or more ago but I still have it but you have mechanical damage. Get that fixed and see if you still need a TCU at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back