The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Camshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanR79

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
I've been searching all throughout the forums and other forums and I keep coming upon the same question that IM bout to ask, but not the response that IM looking for. The question is what camshafts will work best for XX turbo. But they still want to drive it on the street, I want to find the best possible camshafts for strictly drag racing. My setup is HX-40 8 blade, Built block wiesco pistons eagle rods will use e85 with FIC 1650's sorry if i didn't mention any other mods just for the sake of this post I will skimp out on them. But my goal for Horsepower is 500+ Please let me know guys and the price is not a factor thanks.

Cams shift your power band. if you want to run big boost numbers and go for high trap speeds run a large cam. but you will suffer at lower rpm. you want a mix of everything go with a medium cam. you want to increase airflow to spool quicker and have some power before full boost go with a small cam, but you will suffer up top because of the smaller cam.

For most cars a 272 or 280 is a good cam choice with some leaning one way or another. A lot of people will say go with kelford 272's. But kelfords 272's are more like other companies 280's

For a trailer queen strip car, the biggest you can get away with. From my understanding anything bigger than 272 REQUIRES upgraded valvetrain (namely springs and retainers). 280 is the biggest I've seen firsthand, but shop the brands because "advertised" duration is usually different than "measured."

You should research the cams specs and shoot for the cam that will yield the best power band and not just a peek number. On your particular setup I would suggest something like a GSC S2.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back