The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cams for a 2.2 stroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When its all said and done, I'll definately share my thoughts/experiences! ;)

Thanks for the tip on the 272's....I kinda figured I'm gonna have to ditch that 264 sometime

They're already in, motor's assembled, and yeah, custom Ross pistons. Thats why I had to wait almost 9 weeks for em.

We done?

You are. You got everything all tied up and ready to go it sounds like. My build is not as close.

You have to pick a cam on more than just displacement though to be honest. You have to take into account when you plan on shifting and what kind of power you want to make as well. Like a 264/272 combo is fine for say a 500whp setup that isn't reving past 8k but if you want to spin her out to like 9.5k and want to make 700whp+ then you would want something like a 280 cam or maybe even something more aggressive that that geared toward top end. You built a 2.2 "stroker" setup which contradticts regular logic that you can't rev strokers as high because your motor now has a favorable rod ratio so your goals and shift points should be what you worry about.

QUOTE=Slippi84;151756760]You are. You got everything all tied up and ready to go it sounds like. My build is not as close.

You have to pick a cam on more than just displacement though to be honest. You have to take into account when you plan on shifting and what kind of power you want to make as well. Like a 264/272 combo is fine for say a 500whp setup that isn't reving past 8k but if you want to spin her out to like 9.5k and want to make 700whp+ then you would want something like a 280 cam or maybe even something more aggressive that that geared toward top end. You built a 2.2 "stroker" setup which contradticts regular logic that you can't rev strokers as high because your motor now has a favorable rod ratio so your goals and shift points should be what you worry about.[/QUOTE]

True, true. Thats a valid point. Think I'll leave things the way they are for now (plus more cost efficient this way :p) and when its time to do head work, I'll weigh my options then.

Yo good luck with your build....when its all said and done, we should post our personal experiences.

QUOTE=Slippi84;151756760]You are. You got everything all tied up and ready to go it sounds like. My build is not as close.

You have to pick a cam on more than just displacement though to be honest. You have to take into account when you plan on shifting and what kind of power you want to make as well. Like a 264/272 combo is fine for say a 500whp setup that isn't reving past 8k but if you want to spin her out to like 9.5k and want to make 700whp+ then you would want something like a 280 cam or maybe even something more aggressive that that geared toward top end. You built a 2.2 "stroker" setup which contradticts regular logic that you can't rev strokers as high because your motor now has a favorable rod ratio so your goals and shift points should be what you worry about.

True, true. Thats a valid point. Think I'll leave things the way they are for now (plus more cost efficient this way :p) and when its time to do head work, I'll weigh my options then.

Yo good luck with your build....when its all said and done, we should post our personal experiences.[/QUOTE]

Def but I kinda strayed away from the 2.2 build and just went 2.0(at most I may get long rods) For my build the need to rev high was more important than more displacement even though a 2.2 is like the best of both worlds. I will just be keeping it as light as possible with aluminum rods and a butchered crank so we'll see what happens. Either way good luck with your build.

I plan to build a 2.2L utilizing the Eagle 94mm crank.
153mm Custom Rods from Pauter.
Pauter said that any big name Rod Manufacturer can make a set of custom rods for about $800.
2.3L Stroker pistons with the wrist pin moved up 6mm.

With a bore of 85.5mm (.020" over) it would be a 2.16L
With a bore of 86mm (.040" over) it would be a 2.18L
With a bore of 86.5mm (.060" over) it would be a 2.2L

And, the Rod Ratio for such a set-up would be 1.63...

ROFL

Good luck with the build. I was thinkin 2.2L for my next build, but I ruled it out as too expensive for my DSM, I was thinking of one for my Evo though. It seems like the best compromise to keep from having too crazy a rod angle and being able to rev higher. Good luck with reaching your goals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back