1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Came across this 3000GT VR4. Thoughts?

Posted by ChillinGST, Jan 11, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ChillinGST

ChillinGST Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2008
    Clearwater, Florida
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

313  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. tametalon92

tametalon92 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Looks to be in pretty good shape, I'd check if the t-belt has been done and properly, but I wouldn't doubt the person has maintenance records.
    I know there's alot of fast 3kgt's out there, and I personally love the styling, but they are quite a bit different than the dsms as far as $/hp and a bear to work on with limited space. But if you're competent with dsms, it's nothing you shouldn't be able to handle depending on goals, I'd give it a go for sure.

Street Build 179  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 431  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'd get some receipts on the parts, particularly the transmission rebuild and the turbos. Who buys new OEM 13g turbos????

I'd be a bit weary of the owner cheaping out on some parts (clutch, manifolds), but it looks like a decent car. Good VR4s are going up in value right now, so it wouldn't hurt to hop on the bandwagon and enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. ChillinGST

ChillinGST Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2008
    Clearwater, Florida
    Thanks guys. I'll check it out this week time permitting and let ya know.

313  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Parts are apparently much harder to come by and more expensive so keep that in mind. They look fantastic though.

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Looks like a decent car, I agree. I've been recently trying to find a decent version of the Stealth that I can add to my collection.

Street Build 1K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    PlanZero likes this.
  7. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I assume you know Hans of Ground Zero Performance in Easton? He specializes in the 3kgt/Stealth platform (hence the reason you glimpse some very nice 3kgts around Easton) also has a yard full of em for parts (and a galant vr4) and a dyno too! A cool old sports car is only as good as the parts you can find to make her run; I probably wouldn't have delved so deep into DSMs if I didn't have a parts guy nearby (Norbert's in Stoudsburg now but was closer before-DSM Partout)
    If you're really interested I'm sure Hans could find you a good one.

Street Build 3K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  8. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    I build 20-30 6g engines and 4-5 entire 3s cars every year. Parts are everywhere.
    Some of the trans parts are expensive, but they don’t break transmissions typically.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    ErikTande likes this.
  9. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Fair enough. I'm going off what a friend who owns one told me.

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  10. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I know who Hans is. I've never met him personally, but I know who he is and about his business. The reason I've never made an effort to deal with him is I've heard too many sketchy stories from other guys I know. Things like paying for parts and not coming through, or paying for work that isn't done well. I've talked to other people that love him, but I get uncomfortable when there's mixed reviews. Truth is always one-sided, so I don't really know. Up to this point, since I'm a DSM guy I've never really had a reason to deal with him.

Street Build 1K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM