The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cam timing. Advancing stock cams.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morphius

DSM Wiseman
Jun 9, 2003
M-Town, Michigan
I glanced around, but didn't find anything pertaining to this.

Just as if I had put on adjustable cam gears, has anyone timed the exhaust/intake one or two teeth off and found more power with the stock cams? I think 1 tooth equates to 3 degrees.

If so, which direction? How many teeth?

Anyone?

I haven't heard of any power gains from advancing or retarding a cam by one tooth, but I have heard of several botched timing belt replacement jobs that were due to the exhaust cam being one tooth off. Maybe you could do a search for "extreme vibration and loss of power above 4k", or maybe "valves hitting pistons, WTF?!?!"

Originally posted by pneumo
I haven't heard of any power gains from advancing or retarding a cam by one tooth, but I have heard of several botched timing belt replacement jobs that were due to the exhaust cam being one tooth off. Maybe you could do a search for "extreme vibration and loss of power above 4k", or maybe "valves hitting pistons, WTF?!?!"

Here's a wild one for you.....

2 years ago.
I put new belts on my 91 GS. It was the middle of the winter, damm cold. Did it in a hurry. Long story short, I made the mistake of setting the cam gears 180 off. Dowels down. Both of them. Got it together. And it RAN!!! It didn't rev quite as quick, but it still ran good. I drove it for another 6 months before parting it out. The motor had 138K.

Present day.
I just put that motor the 312K GSX. (yes, I turboed a NT... :shhh: ) Before I threw it in, I rechecked the belts and timing. Low and behold, I caught my mistake. Retimed it correctly and it STILL runs!! PULLS HARD for that matter. With 138K on it the compression is still 189 across the board.

Anyhow, for those of you who ever wondered, " will it run if they are timed 180 off?" YES. But I don't recommend it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back