The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Cam recommendations for my setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97awd-turbo

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2012
Thomasville, North_Carolina
I have been doing alot of research and can't seem to find anything or much on the td05 20g cam upgrade recommendations. I was leaning towards FP2 but do they still sell new? so no I was looking at the Combo set that Forcedperformance sells aiming at the Brian Crower 268/272 with the retainer and springs set. My profile is up date and atteched is a snapshot of it. Planning to get it tuned as soon as I install the cams so any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

engine is all bolt ons no head or block work done. 7 bolt 105k original miles.

Attachments

• profiledsm.PNG
    profiledsm.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 156
Everyone thinks kelford cams are the best. Someone did a dyno run on all the cams. Brian crower being the worst. Kelford a did dyno the highest hp but a lot of low end suffered. Hks 272/272 did the best overall with spool time, best low to mid range power. And they are very steetable cams.

Ad Deadly mentioned, it depends on your goals. Are you chasing peak power? Do you want something streetable or are chasing the fastest quarter mile time? It really depends on what you want.

Don't lesson to what you will hear about Bc cams I ran 272 in /ex for year with my 20g setup and loved them, spool good, top end was good, and the price even better. I ran my set up with out after market spring as well.
So because you liked the cams without comparison to any other cams means we should disregard a camshaft test that showed BC to be the most underperforming cams. LOL

I recommend GSC S1s for your setup. I recommend anything except Brian Crower. (Regular Crower is fine). Also FP no longer makes or sells cams. I do believe Robert @ FP said they are obtainable from the Crower Cam catalog if i remember correctly.

I second the HKS or GSC S1's. I also would add to avoid ANYTHING Brian Crower.

Looking at your profile I see a few things that I'll comment on. 1st and foremost, I see no head studs listed. I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade your head bolts to ARP head studs (if not already done). Next thing on the list would be the CXRacing FMIC. I would also HIGHLY recommend you upgrade to a better core. (ETS, JMFab, Shearer, etc.).

My reply to you would be to do the following (all at one time if possible).

Better FMIC core
GSC s1's or HKS 272/272 cams
Manley (part #22125-16) single springs (or any quality single spring), along with titanium retainers
Kiggly HLA
ARP head studs

Not in that order, necessarily, but maybe purchase all the parts, then have them all installed at once.

Another thing to note: I don't see balance shaft eliminator listed in your profile, I'd also HIGHLY recommend that be done.

When was the last time the water pump, timing belt, and associated parts were replaced?

Your headed in the right direction!

Last edited:
So because you liked the cams without comparison to any other cams means we should disregard a camshaft test that showed BC to be the most underperforming cams. LOL

I recommend GSC S1s for your setup. I recommend anything except Brian Crower. (Regular Crower is fine). Also FP no longer makes or sells cams. I do believe Robert @ FP said they are obtainable from the Crower Cam catalog if i remember correctly.
Like I said don't lesson to what people will say Travis b has nothing to back up his clam. I just wanted to give a little of my own experience with bc cams because I know others have had good success also, but the internet will tell you no they suck bla bla bla! I was sharing because he mentioned bc as an option in the first post. And witch cam test are we talking about dsport's?

Just stay stock. Youre going to spend a lot of money upgrading headstuds, springs, retainers etc when you could just have the fastest spooling cam - the stock cam. If you want more top end power, go for a 264/272 or something in that area. Youre kind of not ready for bigger cams. Im using kelford 272/272 on my hx40 so why on earth would you use them on your 20g? I couldn't answer that but like I said, don't expect to just buy cams, install them, and fly down the street with no worries.

btw idk what on earth that one guy is saying LOL. Don't listen to what everyone says? Just what you say? Nothing to back up his claim except for a test done by a huge manufacturer for turbos for our car? Im not saying you didn't make a good cam choice because bc 272/272 would be more appropriate than kelford 272/272, kelford is simply a bigger cam marketed as 272s. The bc would be more reasonable than the kelford on your smaller turbo. But like I said, you could live without either and be happy. Why dont you try out the 20g on stock cams THEN decide if you want to upgrade. I can tell you I would say most of these people are wrong. I would be looking at 264/264 or maybe 264/272 depending on brand. Stage 1's from a few of those mentioned are also a good choice if you must have cams.

Forgot to add to my post above, seeing that your shooting for 400hp, are you using pump / meth injection, e85, or race fuel for this goal? Your injectors will work for all the options except for the ethanol choices (e70 - e98).

This cam gets a lot of hate for what 10, 15 peak hose power on a race engine that ams did one time for a magazine years back. This was my experience with this particular brand of cam that's it. My success was years back the grind on the cam is updated and more refined now. I was thinking for the given setup that a mild cam like bc would not be bad. Kelford and gsc are awesome they perform well on a engine like AMS tested. Most guys running on the street don't need that big. Just because a particular brand say's their a 272 or stag 2 cam don't mean they all have the same lift, ramp, and duration between the two. Cams like kelford and gsc are aggressive and may make more Peak power up top but could suffer in the mid rang power, and the more aggressive cams are hard on the valve train for street use and will require your to rev the engine a lot more to make that power. On a stock engine with stock ported head that's gonna see alot of street the big Cams are not gonna be the best. If we were going to go off the AMS test everytime, everybody should go with JUN cams. There's to many variables that come in to play when choosing cams and exc for a particular setup, but one thing I've learned over the years is that your not gonna learn to much form a magazine. You want real stight forward answer Call the people that are out there pioneering the way everyday like boostin, kiggly, English racing and see what they say not a forme because a lot people don't know what there talking about.

So... since we're talking bottom of the barrel cams (no offense), you (could) use web cams (we all know how good the quality is on them), or even Delta / FFWD Connection regrinds. But like the age old saying goes... You get what you pay for. HKS and GSC are the ones you pay more for, but also get more for the money.

If you buy cheap parts, expect to have problems, it's that simple. I have seem BC products fail. There's no way I'm going to recommend them to someone else. Hence why I also suggested upgrading to a better core for the FMIC.

As an example: I'm sure there are some members who have luck with the "ebay 16g's" but most don't. So we don't recommend them. People have VERY VERY good luck with HKS products, so we DO recommend them. Stop trying to save a $1 and avoid hassles with your car. ESPECIALLY engine parts! You wanna go cheap on something, go cheap on exhaust or floor mats. NOT CRITICAL ENGINE PARTS...

I have gsc s2 cams in my car now there good cams. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest , but brain crower is not ebay. I'm not sure if you know how big there company is but they make parts for tons of applications and a lot people have good success with them. A lot of what people say is copied and pasted right from the internet or with no experience for there self, no wats junk and wats not because in there head they hold a certain brand on a pedestal.

This is getting obnoxious. Calm down children, stay on point.

I have recently installed "straight up" FP2cams (Comp cams 102s) in my car with an evo3 16g and at 24psi the car is very, very responsive, I did lose a small amount of spool but overall have much better mid range power, these cams are out of the box, no degreeing, just slapped in with stock cam gears and are working very well for me.

Overall I am impressed and happy with my selection, I cannot speak for any power gain numbers but the losses were negligible and the gains in mid-top are noticeable, if it's any indication I went from 2.0 70-90 times (3rd gear WOT pulls) down to solid 1.6-1.7 with a 16g after my timing and afr got dialed in.

Take the time when you install the cams to reset your idle and cruise paramaters in link, otherwise things may look a bit weird. Different cams - different airflow, at all RPM ranges.

Hopefully that helps at least a little bit.

Ad Deadly mentioned, it depends on your goals. Are you chasing peak power? Do you want something streetable or are chasing the fastest quarter mile time? It really depends on what you want.

The car will be used mainly as a DD. Track maybe once or twice in a year. Just want a fast street car and something what will help the 20g to its most potential.

I second the HKS or GSC S1's. I also would add to avoid ANYTHING Brian Crower.

Looking at your profile I see a few things that I'll comment on. 1st and foremost, I see no head studs listed. I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade your head bolts to ARP head studs (if not already done). Next thing on the list would be the CXRacing FMIC. I would also HIGHLY recommend you upgrade to a better core. (ETS, JMFab, Shearer, etc.).

My reply to you would be to do the following (all at one time if possible).

Better FMIC core
GSC s1's or HKS 272/272 cams
Manley (part #22125-16) single springs (or any quality single spring), along with titanium retainers
Kiggly HLA
ARP head studs

Not in that order, necessarily, but maybe purchase all the parts, then have them all installed at once.

Another thing to note: I don't see balance shaft eliminator listed in your profile, I'd also HIGHLY recommend that be done.

When was the last time the water pump, timing belt, and associated parts were replaced?

Your headed in the right direction!

Thanks! I am still on stock head bolts and will be getting arp head bolts before a tune as well. Water pump and timing is all original from what I know. That is something I have been itching to get done as well... I haven't looked at how the balanced shaft eliminator works yet so I'll look into that as well! Also the car is just on pump 93. Will want a meth kit in the future but for now I'll have to save up and do with what I have... Thanks again!

The car will be used mainly as a DD. Track maybe once or twice in a year. Just want a fast street car and something what will help the 20g to its most potential.

Look into getting yourself an FP manifold (exhaust), if you haven't already. Also, research the EVO III INTAKE manifold and 1g throttle body.. all 3 will help with the mid range / top end...

Just stay stock. Youre going to spend a lot of money upgrading headstuds, springs, retainers etc when you could just have the fastest spooling cam - the stock cam. If you want more top end power, go for a 264/272 or something in that area. Youre kind of not ready for bigger cams. Im using kelford 272/272 on my hx40 so why on earth would you use them on your 20g? I couldn't answer that but like I said, don't expect to just buy cams, install them, and fly down the street with no worries.

Why would you say I'm not ready for cams? (I see people run them on stock and 16g turbos on this site so why not on a 20g?) I will def be getting springs,retainers, revised lifters,head bolts and a tune before "flying" down the street as well LOL

Last edited:
Don't lesson to what you will hear about Bc cams I ran 272 in /ex for year with my 20g setup and loved them, spool good, top end was good, and the price even better. I ran my set up with out after market spring as well.
I run the BC276 and also love them the best part dynoed 801whp and 608lbs tq and idles like stock! Lately they have been having a problem keeping them in stock I wonder why:rolleyes:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My recommendation go with bc 272s my old dyno with bc272s 500lbs torque early hp early.

Why would you say I'm not ready for cams? (I see people run them on stock and 16g turbos on this site so why not on a 20g?) I will def be getting Valves and springs/retainers and revised lifters and a tune before "flying" down the street as well LOL

Please ignore comments by members who post stuff like this. It's not helping nor is it needed.

On a side note: I do have to admit, Kelvin's, (keltalon above) has hade very good luck with his BC cams. I've read many of his posts about them, so perhaps BC's quality is getting better, or he got lucky. I'm not sure which.

Either way, I still recommend the GSC's or HKS's. Back when FP / Comp were working together to bring us the "FP2's" they would have also been a great choice as well. Sorry I'm not making it any easier for you LOL.

Please ignore comments by members who post stuff like this. It's not helping nor is it needed.

On a side note: I do have to admit, Kelvin's, (keltalon above) has hade very good luck with his BC cams. I've read many of his posts about them, so perhaps BC's quality is getting better, or he got lucky. I'm not sure which.

Either way, I still recommend the GSC's or HKS's. Back when FP / Comp were working together to bring us the "FP2's" they would have also been a great choice as well. Sorry I'm not making it any easier for you LOL.
Well bc did about two years ago change the profiles of their whole cam line to better suit the needs of what we do with these cars I was their personal research and daily driven data! Today their cams are second to none. but any reputable cam will definitely be an improvement over stock.

Last edited:
My recommendation go with bc 272s my old dyno with bc272s 500lbs torque early hp early.

What turbo was this with Kel? That's impressive.

Ignore anyone saying you can't run with cam with this turbo, It's just someone's opinion. Since there are about 20 different 20g variants you'd have to be more specific as to your setup, the bastard tdo5 20g is a gem and would respond amazingly with cam upgrades, and some of the larger, td06 setups might push the power band to far to the right to be "useable" on the street.

That being said, keltalons entire FWD setup I wouldn't consider "useable" on the street LOL but he seems to love it. so :hellyeah: (rock on Kel btw, your posts are pretty inspiring)

Just break down for us simplistically what you want. What EXACTLY you plan to do with the car, and what exactly your 20g turbo is, it will help the more experienced users give an informed opinion on what might best suit you. Also what boost level your running and about what RPM you'd like to see it would help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back