The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Cam lobe damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dxc545

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2011
Machias, Washington
So I'm currently swapping a rebuilt head from my old car into my new gsx. The head was rebuilt about 6 months ago and I installed hks 272 cams with it. Bought off craigslist, Cams showed up and I was burned as usual but installed them anyway. There's damage to only 2 cam lobes on the intake side. Before I install them again I need a second opinion
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Second opinion: Your asking for trouble using those cams. Those are nice paperweights. Install stocks ones if you have them and save up for new (not used) cams.

I'll say that mine are significantly worse than that from throwing rockers a time or two. I've run them for about 10k since then with zero problems. Last season when I rebuilt my head I even reused the same rockers because they were still in decent shape. I honestly can't see how a 10ish% reduction in the lobe cross section can impact the valve travel. As long as it's not a completely perpendicular gash and the cam isn't bent I see no problems.

You have been running them without trouble and they don't look like there's enough damage to impact valve travel like Jake said, I'd run them no problem.

I'm just afraid of the lobe chipping even more, but it looks to me something else came loose and gouged the two lobes. It's just these two lobes right next to eachother

there isnt a single thread in last 20 years where lobes with marks caused some type of problem. man, the rollers roll right over no problem. how hard is that to deduce? amazing how many people think its a problem. you guys shouldnt be working on your own cars if you ask me.

You were running them before for how many miles? They did not cause you an issue apparently.

The lobes are not showing any deterioration, or abnormal wear.

At the most take a small rat tail (round, chain saw file) and put a touch of a bevel on that second lobe edge just to take off the rough edge.

With a roller style cam, it can suffer a bit of damage and still be fine to use.

If you are that concerned, pull the VC on a regular basis and check these lobes every so often. be it every 100? 1000? miles until you feel comfortable that nothing has changed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back