1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Cam degree?

Posted by ShonDope, Jan 19, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ShonDope

ShonDope Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2017
    Marysville, California
    Has anyone gotten their cams degreed? How much did it cost? Did you have to take your engine out of your car to do it?

2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    You can degree your cams in the car, but you really wouldn’t pay someone to do it. You’d pay someone to do a full dyno tune on the car that would include degreeing the cams. It would be too costly to have someone degree your cars straight up.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. ShonDope

ShonDope Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2017
    Marysville, California
    So what would the typical cost be for that? I know they would dyno the car after but I don’t even know what they would be able to do computer wise

4. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    $450-500 is low end of a dyno tune.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    What? Clearly I know nothing of Texas because you can get an LS2 tuned for $180 around here.

Road Race Build 3K  10  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

102  3

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire 150R
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

142  6

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire (325 swapped)
  6. BLACK'98DSM

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Not much really. They can view live data to tell you what might be wrong, and you can work off of that. But unfortunately Chrysler decided that nobody but them was allowed to tamper with the ecu controls. Ask around at your local shops, but as soon as they do some research they're going to turn you down because they don't want to mess it up, or try to figure it out. I know you're trying to find a way around buying an aftermarket ecu, but people have been trying to figure this out since 1997 and only a couple have figured it out. And they are not willing to share any info because then they wouldn't be unique anymore.

Good luck though, I'm sure you can figure something out.

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

102  3

142  6

7. Evolving_sti

Evolving_sti Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    It's also around 500 for a proper tune here in CT. As far as the OP does aem not make a stand alone ecu for the NT? I know they make a small piggy back. I forget what that piggy back is called. Aem is pricey but theres not much out there for the 420a

503  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    320 whp · 315 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  8. ShonDope

ShonDope Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2017
    Marysville, California
    Most people talk about the megasquirt but they do make an aem standalone. It’s probably the one I’ll end up buying

BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  9. Evolving_sti

Evolving_sti Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    I don't know much about megasquirt but that is an older/dated software for tuning correct ? Again I'm not sure about this. Whoever you find to tune your car is also gona have to be familiar with the programming. You should prolly search around for a tuner first tell em your mods are and see what they usually tune with. They usually sell the products they tune for. For instance my tuner has vast knowledge on dsm link, Hondata, hptuners, cobb. But if I went there with like one of those Apexi fvac piggy backs he'd tell me to take a hike.

503  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    320 whp · 315 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  10. BLACK'98DSM

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    It is still in use by most of the 420a tuners. There are still improvements being made, and you can find some info about it on the DIY Auto Tune website.

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

102  3

142  6