The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Cam cap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1twistdtalon

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Gregory, South_Dakota
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Recently I bought a used head that was barely used. Fully potter and polished. Ti retainers and bc springs along with 1mm over ferrea valves and new guides and 3G lifters. When I recieved the head and bag of cam caps and lifters I installed them to find that the I1 cam cap is missing. My question is can I use a cam cap from another head and have it line honed and bored if needed ? Or is the head pretty much junk?

You are not totally out of luck.Find one from a spare you have, or any spare head will do. The cap can be line honed. That side of the head will have to be taken apart. Just make sure wherever you take it, they understand what you want.

That's great news. I didn't pay much for the head so spending a little to have it fixed is fine . Especially with all the parts and porting . I can't buy one new for what I paid.

That's great news. I didn't pay much for the head so spending a little to have it fixed is fine . Especially with all the parts and porting . I can't buy one new for what I paid.

It should cost less than $200.

Did you contact the seller to ask if he may have it still?

But the others above are correct, a line hone will correct and index that cam.

Have you installed the cams and torque the caps to make sure the cams spin by hand?

Leave off the HLAs and followers.

We are in contact and he is looking he thinks he may have lost it on the way to ship it. .

I have not installed the cams or even the bolts yet I just set the cam caps on the head. I'll take the cam cap off my other head tonight and torque the caps with the cams in and the rockers out and spin it and see how it feels. Either way I'll have it line honed.

No do not swap caps from one head to the other... would you do that with the main caps? or the rod caps?

just check with the caps you have that match the head.

I was meaning replacing the missing cap and having it checked? Are you saying not to do that ?

I think bogus meant not to spin the cam with the replacement cap on without the line hone. Only do the test with the correct existing caps.

I am happy to report that the machine shop called and told me that they could machine the cap I had to replace and it would be in spec still.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back