The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

cam break-in [Merged 12-7] camshaft cams camshafts breakin

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What if you get a motor done, new pistons rods the whole nine yards,a nd you put cams in should you still let it run at over 2,500 rpm for 30 min?

For motor break-ins, I let it high idle until its warmed up. Then I shut it down and check for leaks. If it passes the visual test, I take it out to set the rings by doing some WOT 3rd gear pulls and engine braking. This method is debatable by many people but it is what I have chosen to do based on my research. Do your own research and make your decision based on that.

ok so like once you start the car, just keep your foot on the gas and hold it at 2500+ for a 15min-30min?

hmm, I started it and warmed it up, then took it for like a 8 miles drive, im almsot 100% sure the rings sat no problem, it smoked when I first started it, pulled it out of my friends driveway, and down the block, it stoped smoking, then we did some moderate pulls, and yeah.

blackGSX2g said:
For motor break-ins, I let it high idle until its warmed up. Then I shut it down and check for leaks. If it passes the visual test, I take it out to set the rings by doing some WOT 3rd gear pulls and engine braking. This method is debatable by many people but it is what I have chosen to do based on my research. Do your own research and make your decision based on that.

I have been told to do that to but what about the cams? is that method okay for the cams or do i have to run it at 2,500+rpms for 15-30 min?

It usually takes about 15 minutes of high idle to fully warm everything anyways, so I'd say it would be an ok method. Thats what I would do.

I have new cams, new motor, new clutch. so i would let the motor run at 2500+ for about 15min, then take it out and do a few hard pulls on a fresh motor with new cams? That sounds like i would break something. Would i disconnect the actuator from the wastegate so as not to build any boost?

Most people recommend getting into boost for a "hard breakin", just set the boost low. I'm gonna go for 8psi myself, so basically just connect the boost source straight to the wastegate actuator, no boost controller.

The reason for this is to seat the rings firmly in the ring lands and squeeze them out to the cylinder wall. By going too easy on it in the breakin period, some people have reported the rings never sealing up.

My guess on the need for breaking in cams at a high idle is to maintain oil pressure while the journals and bearings (cam caps) get acquainted. At idle there's not much oil pressure in the head, and that might lead to galling of the fresh surfaces. There might be a better reason, but I can't think of one.

Is there a break in period for our cams?.. I know on my honda skunk2 told me I had to let my motor idle over 1500 rpms, for 10-15 minutes and then run normal for a couple of miles.. Then have fun driving with the camshafts... True?.. False?... Any insight?!

Every cam i've bought and installed ( a lot of domestic applictions too ) have always recommended 15 minutes at 1500 RPM on first start up, then some norma driving. It was a shock to me teh first time i read it, but i've done it every since and no issues yet.

Personally when I installed my cams I did the standard break in procedure of keeping the rpms over the 1500rpm range (varied rpms 1500-2500) for around 20-25 min. I'm not sure how necessary this is with our roller rocker arms, but I did it anyways just to be on the safe side & from what I could tell most seemed to do some sort of break in as well.

On flat tappit cams yes the 1500rpm brake in is kinda of statis que. On roller tappit or roller rockers (like in our 4g63 DOHC) it is not realy needed there are no where points to worry about. But if you like play the 1950s cam run in.

Fire it up and GO!!

On flat tappit cams yes the 1500rpm brake in is kinda of statis que. On roller tappit or roller rockers (like in our 4g63 DOHC) it is not realy needed there are no where points to worry about. But if you like play the 1950s cam run in.

Fire it up and GO!!

Agreed. I've dropped several cam sets in and just went and drove it around. I've never once dared to "moto man" my engine so RPMs stayed stable for a bit of first time cruising. I could imagine letting the car idle at high rpm the first time around can't hurt either.

I have a question.

I will be breaking in a new motor as well as a new set of cams. Is there any difference in what I should do? Will the new motor be fine at 2500rpms for 15 minutes on the first startup?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back