The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Calling All Cam Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boost_Addict_88

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2008
Brazil, BC_Canada
Ok, so back in late December I had a buddy help me drop a motor into my 1G to get him running till I got a new motor built. After getting everything legit, we fired him up and at the motor everything sounded great, but at the exhaust there seemed to be a lumpy idle like there were cams underhood. As far as my buddy and I knew, the motor was completly stock. On my way home, I boosted the Turbo and it seemed to spool faster then usual (Small 16G). Now that I almost have all of the parts to piece my motor together, I would like to use these cams, but unfortunately I do not know what brand or "size" they are. I believe they are 272's though.

I pulled the valve cover off today and here's what I found.

The numbers 70 on my intake and 15 on exhaust.

On my stock cams they read "8" and "2" on both cams and have the letter "D" on the trans side and "F" with 4 dots to the right on the timing side. My exhaust side also has "1" and "2" (under "1") on the trans side.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

There is a procedure to measure duration while in the engine, it's how you degree cams in. The easy way to tell if they are stock cams is to first do a compression check to make sure the engine is "good" then see how much vaccum you pull at idle. Stock depending on elevation should be 17+ in, My Webb 546/547's idle about 6 in. Most see more vaccum than me though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back