The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Caliper pin does NOT just "slide" out....so that's now broke, now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Myers

Proven Member
Sep 17, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Was reading all these threads about changing the drivers side rear caliper on my 91 AWD talon. Everyone was saying the 14mm bottom caliper bolt/slide pin comes out, then the top one (the one with no visible head to get a socket around being referred to as a "lock pin" in some threads) just slides out of the bracket as you pivot the caliper up and apply pressure toward the center of the car.

Well....I thought my top "lock pin" was just seized in there so I applied ALOT of pressure and it snapped off inside the mounting bracket. Upon closer look IT HAS THREADS! So...how was I REALLY supposed to turn this lock pin out? Doesn't look like I could fit even a thin wall socket around the head of that thing since it sinks down inside the caliper itself.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm going to work on getting this bolt out of my bracket since none of the parts stores I call around to can seem to find a bracket. Dealer said they are discontinued, and the local salvage yards aren't an option either. So does anyone happen to know the fastest place I could source a new caliper mounting bracket? It's the driver rear for an AWD 91 talon....thank you!

DUH...not sure why I didn't think of those already. Thank you! Happen to have any idea how to remove that top pin the correct way for my future knowlede? When I go to install the new caliper is there a special tool required to get this top pin screwed into the new bracket?

Yeah it does, looks to be a 10 or 12mm, but my caliper was siezed outward (applying pressure to the rotor) so the pin sinks down inside the caliper housing itself. There doesn't look to be much room at all to even get a thin wall socket around the hex head when it's down inside the caliper, although I haven't tried it admittedly. So if your suggesting there is room, that gives me confidence and I will try to get a socket in there.

Can you get a better pic of what your dealing with? There should be a pin/guide that gets bolted to the top of bracket. This slides into the top of caliper then you bolt the bottom piece on. If anything remove the threads from bracket and get a new caliper with hardware. Should come with new bolts and a guide.

I think I'm just over thinking it because everyone on past threads said the top slide pin just "slides" out. In reality it looks like I should have tried a thin wall socket and actually loosened it and it would have came right off and not snapped inside the bracket. I have the caliper and pads, just now I either need to find a way to get these threads out of the bracket or find a new one. Probably will just do both so I have an extra anyway. Thanks for the help!

Here is what I am dealing with btw. It's the hex head down inside that caliper housing. Looks like a lot more room once I cleaned the rust off the hex head.

Since thats the part that slides on the guide, you should be able to hit the bolt out. Its most likely seized in there from rust. I was just get another caliper and junk that one. Easiest and quickest fix

You do not unbolt that pin. The caliper slides over it. What happend to you is that pin seized in the caliper and when you pryed it up you snapped it off. Think about it....of course its threaded. Yiu wouldnt manufacture that pin as part of the bracket. But just because its threaded you do not have to inscrew it to get the caliper off. If you can find one that pin is replaceable and then get a new caliper. If you beat the broken pin out you'll probably find a rusty pitted hole.

Thank you! THAT's exactly the information I was looking for! Thats how I understood it as well, but as I said, after this thing siezed up I started contradicting my thinking. Appreciate you confirming...now to find that pin LOL I go pick up my caliper from the parts store after work here in about an hour and really really hoping it's included, but I doubt it.

I got my caliper sets from advance. Made it a little easier to return my cores to my local store. I guess you'd have to see if the price is worth it over rockauto.

Get yourself a little container of the brake caliper lube, make sure you lube up those pins where they meet the rubber boots so it doesn't seize again.

All new errythang:

******* OH CRAP ALERT *****
Don't make the mistake I did... returned the cores and left the parking brake cable mouting bracket on the cores. So I had to call steve miller and buy the little brackets off him. New/reman calipers won't come with them.

Ended up sending the caliper back I had and picking up one with a bracket. Actually included all hardware and also had the parking brake mount/spring on it as well. Everything went back on fairly simple until I realized the crappy stock brake line wont screw back into the caliper without removing it again and turing the caliper onto the line. Shoulda just ponied up for SS lines with the swivel fittings. Anyone know an easier method I could have tried for future reference? Or did I do the only thing I could do with those stock lines?

Ended up sending the caliper back I had and picking up one with a bracket. Actually included all hardware and also had the parking brake mount/spring on it as well. Everything went back on fairly simple until I realized the crappy stock brake line wont screw back into the caliper without removing it again and turing the caliper onto the line. Shoulda just ponied up for SS lines with the swivel fittings. Anyone know an easier method I could have tried for future reference? Or did I do the only thing I could do with those stock lines?

LOL, maybe you got the cores I turned in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back