The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

cali smog test

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azkikr10

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2003
Union City, California
ive recntly ben moding my car and i was wondering if ill pass smog so far i have

dejon tools intake with k&n filter
2.5downpipe
2.5high flow cat
2.5 apexi n1 w/ custom piping
apexi avc-r
these are on my car right now. i also have a 18g, 2g manifold, and evo o2 housing all 3 ported. will my car pass smog with all these installed? can i just turn down the boost to lower how much emitions or am i just going to flat out fail. im waiting for my fuel pump and injectors before i put on my turbo :D

The interesting thing here is that there is no way to tell. It's basically up to the smog technician that runs the car. Obviously, you can't fail the tail-pipe test but it doesn't sound like you would with what you've done. Fortunately, your AWD exempts you from being dyno'd.

The thing that might get you is the "visual" inspection. Some techs will fail you with the wrong colored vacuum hoses. Others will let you pass with lots of mods, provided you pass the tail-pipe test.

Search around here a bit, I know there was a fellow who got sent to a special test center and still passed with lots of mods.

It's a crap-shoot. The best advice is to get a pre-test before you do the actual run. If you fail the pre-test, fix the problem and then go back.

how do i go about gettin a pre test? just go to a smog shop and ask for a smog?

u will NOT pass i werk at a service shop that does about 10 smogs a day and IN CALIFORNIA, anything not stock pretty fails the visual test, even some carb stickers are not excepted, they only exempt u from gettin fix it tickets, NOT EMISSIONS. this is only at a legitimate shop. but i guess msot shops dont give a shit as long as the numbers pass. the new DYNO testers are gonna be in service soon too. but luckily some of us are AWD and are exempt from the in gear tests. but prices for smog are gonna double. OURS have already

Yeah if I were you I would take your intake out and put the stock intake rubber tube and air box back on. I went for smog recently and they wouldnt pass me for the visual inspection so I had to run home and throw that stuff back on and then drive back. I have a decent amount of mods in the engine and the shop I went to didnt really care about them, just the carb stuff.

With not knowing where you live, I couldn't guess on how tough your particular area is. But any smog shop should be able to do a pre-test for you, and most should give you the courtesy of a visual look-over before the testing to see if there's anything they'd boot from the start.

And yes, the prices are going up. Recall Davis.

hey norcal, do they fail the emissions or the visual? because im not worried about the visual i can handle that part i just want to know if the emissions will pass

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back