The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved Calan Oil Catch Can...Issue!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTKai

5+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2019
Hamptonville, North_Carolina
ok guys i need some help! i just installed a calan oil catch can today
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
but,Now car wont idle correctly! and here is the "funny/strange" part! when i open the catch can drain valve,car idle correctly,if i close the valve drain car dies instantly!
is that how the valve drain supposed to be, open?
what am i doing wrong???
please help me!
by the way! I DID NOT BOUGHT IT DIRECTLY FROM THEIR WEBSITE
i bought it from a private seller!

thanks in advance...!!!

What was your setup before that? Also I am assuming you are still on the 2g maf, not running SD? Please correct me if I am wrong. Depending on how different the airflow now is at idle your BISS may need to be set again, and get ISC back in line. Just a guess. Did you change anything else while installing the can?

Last edited:
Are you positive that the clamps you have are getting a good seal on the can fittings? I am not sure how all the push lock stuff works. Those may be doing fine, and that hose and fitting combo may not require clamps. that said, leaks in your system can introduce airflow that is after the maf (intake pipe) via your -10 hose. Post logs with drain open and closed if possible.

Last edited:
I have this can and 2 from vc and 1 to intake pre turbo and it is fine, i think you have an issue somewhere else thats not found yet

What was your setup before that? Also I am assuming you are still on the 2g maf, not running SD? Please correct me if I am wrong. Depending on how different the airflow now is at idle your BISS may need to be set again, and get ISC back in line. Just a guess. Did you change anything else while installing the can?

I used to have a cheap ebay atmospheric catch can before this! same configuration on the valve cover! (two AN8 fittings) but no! i did not change anything else!

Are you positive that the clamps you have are getting a good seal on the can fittings? I am not sure how all the push lock stuff works. Those may be doing fine, and that hose and fitting combo may not require clamps. that said, leaks in your system can introduce airflow that is after the maf (intake pipe) via your -10 hose. Post logs with drain open and closed if possible.

fittings could be the issue,it is a possibility! but what i don't get it is...whys there no issue when the valve drain is open? but if i close it car just dies! idle problem is only when the valve drain is closed!
I have this can and 2 from vc and 1 to intake pre turbo and it is fine, i think you have an issue somewhere else thats not found yet

I know all this sounds weird or even stupid.!
i just back from a little driving around the block,car hits 1.5 bar with no problems catch can still there just WITH THE VALVE DRAIN OPENED and no problems at all! i closed the valve drain and again! idle issue!

My theory... you are going from having it calibrated (or not) for losing all the crankcase air to the atmosphere. then you correct that by hooking up a hose from can to intake pipe. now you are keeping all the crankcase air in the system. your airflow changes somewhat significantly at idle - doesn't run right. Then you open the drain, and you are drawing in un-metered air thru the can and then thru the -10an hose to your fp intake. it runs for some reason unknown, but again its a somewhat significant change to your airflow at idle... I would try getting all that ISC and BISS stuff dialed in again with the system setup with no leaks and the drain closed.

I recommend heat shrink on the ends of your nylon hoses to keep them "clean" looking and then use "fuel injection" style clamps to get everything tight and leak free. They are like mini t-bolt clamps and I have had good success with them on vac hoses and other clamped connections. They really snug up nice.

Best of luck!

Well if i am seeing right from your profile picture your running a maf and dumping the bov! So thats not going to help your first off. Reading your profile shows you have ecmlink so checking idle and isc should be easy for you and to see whats wrong.

Plenty of people have used this catch can without issue so it is something the matter with the car as i say about the bov.

My theory... you are going from having it calibrated (or not) for losing all the crankcase air to the atmosphere. then you correct that by hooking up a hose from can to intake pipe. now you are keeping all the crankcase air in the system. your airflow changes somewhat significantly at idle - doesn't run right. Then you open the drain, and you are drawing in un-metered air thru the can and then thru the -10an hose to your fp intake. it runs for some reason unknown, but again its a somewhat significant change to your airflow at idle... I would try getting all that ISC and BISS stuff dialed in again with the system setup with no leaks and the drain closed.

I recommend heat shrink on the ends of your nylon hoses to keep them "clean" looking and then use "fuel injection" style clamps to get everything tight and leak free. They are like mini t-bolt clamps and I have had good success with them on vac hoses and other clamped connections. They really snug up nice.

Best of luck!

UPDATE: You were right sir,about the crankcase air system! so this morning i closed the valve drain and adjust the BISS just a little bit at time,the idle is waaaay better now! engine is running with no single idle issue! so thank you and really appreciate your advice sir!!!

about the clamps: i will look up those clamps soon! and once again,thank you for the HELP!!!

Well if i am seeing right from your profile picture your running a maf and dumping the bov! So thats not going to help your first off. Reading your profile shows you have ecmlink so checking idle and isc should be easy for you and to see whats wrong.

Plenty of people have used this catch can without issue so it is something the matter with the car as i say about the bov.

i know that we have to recirculate the bov when the maf is still there! now, i'm planning to go with speed density soon! probably in one or two weeks!
but yeah! this catch can is awesome! i did a couple pulls! well,several of them( LOL) and i can see that the catch can is catching some oil already! so it's doing the job as it should!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back