The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Calan catch can whistle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsiawd98

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2002
Las Vegas, Nevada
So I might have a question with the people that have a calan catch can? I just installed the catch can in my car and just rigged it up to see how the engine would run like. I still need to drill a hole in my turbo intake and then route the hose to that.

But I disconnected the B.O.V. vacuum line and hooked it up to the catch can too see how the engine runs, now that I finally have a vacuum source to the block. Anyways the engine was making like a weird whistling kind of noise. There are no leaks at all, when I would remove the oil fill cap there would be a strong vacuum and the noise would go away once removed. Also same goes with the oil dipstick, I would pull the dipstick out and the noise would go away?

I don't know if this is too much vacuum at idle, or what? I got HKS 272 for both camshafts. maybe once I get my a/n bung welded to the intake of the turbo this would be less of a vacuum on the engine block? I do know that the factory routing of the emissions system has fresh air being pulled through the engine block, and pretty much I have eliminated this on the engine. I was following what a lot of other people have done on their catch can setup's and I have not seen any post about any weird noise doing it like this?

Any help from people with sealed catch can setups, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 177
Thats a lot of vacuum. When putting the hose to the turbo inlet your barely pulling a vacuum. The way you have it now is a lot more vacuum then normal. Once you switch it to the turbo inlet the noises should stop.

If you have this hooked up to manifold vacuum (which it seems you do) then you are pulling excess vacuum from the crankcase, which is essentially sealed, so it's whistling because it's trying to pull air past the seals in the oil cap and/or dipstick.

This is bad and you need to undo this asap. #1: this is an un-metered leak to your intake.
#2: you could be putting excess stress on all your crankcase-exposed seals, which can lead to premature failure or seal failure.

Yeah, I figured it was too much vacuum from there, I just hooked it up to test it out real quick. The car has been sitting for years while I fix everything up. Next week when I'm off I will get the a/n fitting welded up to the intake pipe, and problem solved. Thanks for the replies!

Just to give you an idea of WHY it was whistling...

At idle I'm logging ~ -1in/Hg on the crankcase pulling vacuum from the intake preturbo, if you swapped the BOV line over to the CC then you were probably pulling ~ -17in/Hg of vacuum on it.

Just to be clear the factory system does use intake manifold vacuum for PCV at idle. The difference is that the other port on the valve cover goes to the pre turbo inlet. So at idle you are pulling metered air through the crankcase and into the intake manifold.

Adding a line to the pre turbo pipe will alleviate your issue as the crankcase is not sealed building the full vacuum of the engine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back