The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

CAI question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zalock

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2002
Jamestown, North_Dakota
As some of you might remember i was having some troble a while ago getting a ram air intake from Ebay to fit on my 97 GS. Well i eventually did get it to fit. I got home to day from doing some running around with my woman and found a box sitting on my deck. I opened it and in side was a cold air intake. The company i talked to must have sent it. Well here is the intake i got.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I have a few questions about it.

1. Whats the difference between the ram air i have on now and this one?

2. How does this one go in?

I looked and have no idea. Pics anyone? anyhelp would be great.
Thanks,
Zac

Well what does your other one look like? For ram-air does the filter sit in the little hole in the front bumper?

LeJeune123 said:
Well what does your other one look like? For ram-air does the filter sit in the little hole in the front bumper?

Hey I had that one, and its on my gallery page in the engine bay photo. I have the AEM one now.

Long piece goes to the intake mainy, and short piece comes down and if you can fit it, will go under the wheel well infront of the tire. Mine didn't though.

well i made the switch today. It went on supprisingly easy. I did have to move the horn though. Here are some pics.

Before

After

Tell me what you guys think. I think the CIA fits and looks so much better than the Ram air. Is sure its a huge difference in HP gains also. Let me know what you think.
Zac

looks pretty good man, I would personally swap out the filter for a K&N though. Looks like it's time for a new valve cover gasket :sneaky:

yeah, i know. I gotta get some time to pull it apart. Its my only car and i dont have a garage so its gotta be done at one time. Working full time doesn't leave much time for working on cars.
Zac

:tease: time for a new vc gasket.

As for your HP gains, maybe 2hp? I had an Injen cold air on my car about a year ago, biggest waste of money. I couldn't feel any difference and for the price tag, the name wasn't even worth it. Good thing you went with the cheap eBay intake, it probably works just as well as any old injen. All I got from that intake was a sucking noise which got annoying very fast. I even threw the factory air box back in because it was so loud :toobad:

dude, an intake is the best bang for your buck performance wise. a Cold air intake is plenty better than the huge stock airbox. and short ram only gives you warm air from your block that your fans push around.

hereitcomes said:
dude, an intake is the best bang for your buck performance wise. a Cold air intake is plenty better than the huge stock airbox. and short ram only gives you warm air from your block that your fans push around.

I'm going to have to agree with Hereitcomes. When I slapped on my AEM CAI, I noticed a decent difference over the stock piping with a K&N filter, were not talking a huge dramatic oh-my-god-I'm-going-to-crap-myself difference but the car definately pulled harder. Another thing that just came in mind would be to check and maybe replace those hose clamps cheap ones tend at the worst possible times

I agree with pro and both of your guys. Just buy a cheap intake though, those injen and aem ones are way overpriced and you get the same gains. I had an intake before I had turbo and it was loud as hell at idle, if you like that so be it.

GSleeper said:
I agree with pro and both of your guys. Just buy a cheap intake though, those injen and aem ones are way overpriced and you get the same gains. I had an intake before I had turbo and it was loud as hell at idle, if you like that so be it.

yeah but theres a reason that those are so expensive... for those of us who lives in states and have to deal with that stupid little thing called emssions... AEM and INJEN have paid money to state review boards and gotten C.A.R.B. numbers for them... if you live in California like i did before i left for school... you wont be driving your car after you earn yourself a nice little State Referee ticket... intakes maybe easy to change out and get signed off but headers and such i would definately recommend getting the CARB legal brands :dsm:

I spent the money to get an AEM for the fact that I can have it on while I do my SMOG and the CARB is great when a cop pop's my hood. San Diego is really cracking down on street racers and they WILL pop your hood

99EclipseRS said:
I spent the money to get an AEM for the fact that I can have it on while I do my SMOG and the CARB is great when a cop pop's my hood. San Diego is really cracking down on street racers and they WILL pop your hood

the week i installed my catback and header, i got pulled over FOUR times during the week... they popped my hood 3 times out of the four... a week later i moved to wyoming where there are no emissions so ive been livin it up drivin as loud as i want... but yeah $#%& california cops
:dsm:

xXeclipstasyXx said:
the week i installed my catback and header, i got pulled over FOUR times during the week... they popped my hood 3 times out of the four... a week later i moved to wyoming where there are no emissions so ive been livin it up drivin as loud as i want... but yeah $#%& california cops
:dsm:

Pretty crazy though...my cousin is a CHP and he said during his training, they have a totally seperate course where they just concentrate on imports. Now CHP's can check for sh*t on our cars...crazy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back