The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G CA Brake & Light Inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthstarWhite99GSX

Probationary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Lincoln, California
I'm having a problem with passing the California Brake & Light Inspection after buying back my GSX from insurance. My front left brake rotor had to be replaced so I went through RockAuto and bought ACDelco #18A1086A. I bought all 4 corners but only had time to replace the LF.

My problem is the shop said I failed the inspection, not because the front rotors were different but because the new rotor is smaller than stock and the brake pad hangs over the top of the rotor. It is true, the new rotor measures a diameter of 10.5" and stock, I measured, 10.875". That's a 3/8" difference. I checked RockAuto again and the listing said the rotor is for the Front axle of an AWD car.

What can I do? Does anyone know of a shop in the Sacramento, CA area that will pass me? Do I buy another set of pads that are smaller?

Thanks for the help. Long live the DSM!

The parts stores around here don't know anything about DSMs. They gave you the rotor that was listed but you got the ones for the GST with the single piston front calipers. You need one for a GSX with the 2 piston front calipers. No shop is going to pass you with a brake pad hanging off the rotor.

I got a set of GST single piston front calipers that fit those rotors you can have if you want. You could put a GST calipers on the front with both of the new rotors that will get you to pass the inspection.

But I would recommend just going on Rock Auto and buying the bigger GSX rotor or just going back to the parts store and telling the idiots there to keep looking until they find you the right one

I would just buy rotors for the car and be done if the pads are not bad. That will be the easier option. I may have a set of rotors sitting around. Ill look around in my stash.

I've been moving so I've been away but I'm back now.

The rotors were bought through RockAuto. I went back to check and the rotors are smaller and the specs say that. I'm going to contact RockAuto to voice my displeasure that what is listed, technically, fits our cars but will not pass state regulations for our cars, therefore that part shouldn't be listed.

Thanks for the info guys.

95REGF150, I'll take the lens. When I get back we can plan to meet up somewhere.

lglracer, I'll take the rotors if you don't need them. I'll be back in a week and we can meet up.

I've been moving so I've been away but I'm back now.

The rotors were bought through RockAuto. I went back to check and the rotors are smaller and the specs say that. I'm going to contact RockAuto to voice my displeasure that what is listed, technically, fits our cars but will not pass state regulations for our cars, therefore that part shouldn't be listed.

Thanks for the info guys.

95REGF150, I'll take the lens. When I get back we can plan to meet up somewhere.

lglracer, I'll take the rotors if you don't need them. I'll be back in a week and we can meet up.

Rock Auto only breaks our cars out by engine not by trim level. So when you select the 2.0 turbo engine they list rotors for both the GST & GSX which as we've established are different sizes. So it's not really their fault you have to know which size you need and make sure you buy the right ones. But I get you if it was broken out by trim level there would be no question that your getting the right ones for your car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back