The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

c51ph trans noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90tsi6bolt

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2012
chicopee, Massachusetts
I recently install a early galant trans into my gsx trans code is c51ph. I used a 22 spline DSM transfer case , with a 3 bolt rear. I am going to be switching rear end back to a 4 bolt soon.its a high pitched bearing type noise. I purchased trans online was in working order when pulled the guy stated. Didn't purchase t case was told it was a 90 DSM drive train. Trans gets to me.I find out its an early model vr4 trans. Is there a different gearing from the DSM transfer case and trans or from the 3 bolt even? I'm uncertain just seeing if anyone else has run into this issue. I have a video of the noise I'll try to upload to here later today. Any help is gladly apperciated .

I had one from an 89 jdm galant IIRC. It has a taller 1st gear. The final drive is the same. I swapped the output shaft to a 23 spline and it worked with my 23 spline dsm tcase just fine. I had it in a 92 GSX with a 4 bolt rear. The only thing I had to do was use the 92 shift lever mounting bracket on the tranny and I think I used a 92 shorter shift arm on the tranny as well. It's been about 4 years since I broke that tranny so my memory is a little fuzzy. No whining noises from any gear ratio problems using that tranny though...
http://vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html

Here's the video of the noise.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check the gear ratios on vfaq no difference between DSM t case an front diff's. Possibly diff bearings? Not sure or t case whine. The t case was sitting in the garage. It was a damp garage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back