The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A C.A.R.B Turbo kit for a 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsanchez1218

Probationary Member
May 17, 2021
San Bernardino, California
Hello DSMers
i am wondering if a CARB legal Turbo kit exist for a 420a motor i have a 2g 97 eclipse with a 420a i would like to turbo it so it could have a little kick, i know the 420a could handle 8 lbs psi on stock internals but what is recommended to upgrade so i wont have any issues in the future, dont plan on riding her hard just to have a little fun.

To my knowledge there are no CARB legal kits available, especially with inspection requirements in Cali as well. The support for the platform has definitely ended. Most of the time I could not even have things shipped to Cali from aftermarket places. I failed one time just from an aftermarket BOV that was still re-circ, so imagine trying to slide a turbo kit by them. Best bet is to find someone to "help" you get the stickers..

Makes me wonder if you could do an entire engine swap to a 4g63t, as long as that was an eom motor for that year. Not saying you would want to, as that might be more involved than adding a turbo kit.
Best easy power upgrade for an N.A. Car is probably nitrous. Then you’d have “a little fun”!

Hello DSMers
i am wondering if a CARB legal Turbo kit exist for a 420a motor i have a 2g 97 eclipse with a 420a i would like to turbo it so it could have a little kick, i know the 420a could handle 8 lbs psi on stock internals but what is recommended to upgrade so i wont have any issues in the future, dont plan on riding her hard just to have a little fun.
Not a chance. No company will spend the money to get anything for the 420A DSM approved by CARB just so they might sell 3 or 4 kits. They'd never make their money back. The only thing for any DSM that might be CARB approved is a K&N filter (maybe a few other things). This market isn't worth the expense of going through the approval process.

Not a chance. No company will spend the money to get anything for the 420A DSM approved by CARB just so they might sell 3 or 4 kits. They'd never make their money back. The only thing for any DSM that might be CARB approved is a K&N filter (maybe a few other things). This market isn't worth the expense of going through the approval process.
Yup. A CARB certification costs $10,000+ to conduct, they would be lucky to get $10,000 in sales from the 420A crowd. And it's unlikely that a full turbo kit would end up passing CARB without costing an absolute fortune to tune it properly.

Makes me wonder if you could do an entire engine swap to a 4g63t, as long as that was an eom motor for that year. Not saying you would want to, as that might be more involved than adding a turbo kit.
Best easy power upgrade for an N.A. Car is probably nitrous. Then you’d have “a little fun”!
I think on a N/A 2g, swapping in an Evo 8/9 motor would be the way to go. Probably easier to find those motors, they're facing the right way, and I "believe" that putting a newer engine into an older chassis is easier to get signed off on - but I still wouldn't want to go through the hassle of getting that certified by CARB. And that's still a very involved swap. It's not like you just have to get some special motor mounts and an install kit.

If you have a lot of spare money to put into it, you are passionate about building out that particular car, and you have the will power to see it through, then do it.

those are great ideas ive thought of, im still doing research of whats needed to do a engine swapt for it to be legal and pass our beautiful smog test, dont feel like having to do "special" request for it to pass smog every two years LOL if i go with built internals will that increase my hp a good amount?

Evo swap needs all accompanying SMOG components to utilize it. It's honestly probably the easiest way to 300hp and being SMOG legal, but it's going to cost you. Plenty of BAR'd LS swap cars in cali, it's just a matter of utilizing all the factory SMOG components from the donor vehicle.

Built internals aren't going to net you much N/A.

Plenty of BAR'd LS swap cars in cali, it's just a matter of utilizing all the factory SMOG components from the donor vehicle.
I'd think an LS swap, being N/A would be easier to get sign off on through the stat ref, compared to a factory turbocharged Evo 4G63. Maybe not. There are counties in California that don't require smog testing, you just have to find those zip codes and move there (or get an address there :) )

When I visited Cabo, so many cars had North Dakota plates. Apparently you only need a mailing address (P.O. Box).
PS; I know this isn’t really helpful to the conversation.

My suggestion on Nitrous was that it may be possible to add in a very stealthy way, and removed for inspections. Sure you have to fill the bottles, but compared to the cost of engine swaps….

I'd think an LS swap, being N/A would be easier to get sign off on through the stat ref, compared to a factory turbocharged Evo 4G63. Maybe not. There are counties in California that don't require smog testing, you just have to find those zip codes and move there (or get an address there :) )
Not really, the turbo doesn't add any complexity. It just needs to match the emissions requirements of the donor vehicle. It needs to have the same amount of o2 sensors, the purge, evap etc. They're actually not that hard to BAR if you can fit all the emissions equipment, which a 2g has most of. Stock air box, header to cat etc. The engine cant be out of a truck if its going in a car and it has to be the same year or newer than the vehicle its going in.

I don't think any mods for the 420a are CARB approved besides the AEM intake you'd overpay for.
Even though the Chinese products will say that in the description just to make you buy something. You shouldn't be looking at those anyway. Lol

You could definitely sneak in some internals and pass if you leave the emissions alone. But without other supporting mods they won't do anything too impressive for you.

There's no way you can have a heavily built 420a and still pass the Cali standards. My car is far from street legal and AL doesn't even know LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back