The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

BW S256 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would out dated make you more happy?

Jeeze, I don't exactly have a lot of money laying around either, but then with a project car, thats why you park it and save money for what you want. So you end up with what you want, instead of settling for something thats almost what you envisioned it being. This is just my attitude and mind set. It doesn't apply to everyone.

Any new updates on this turbo? Loads of good info on this thread :)

Actually there is a newer "old tech" 256 called the S200SX-56. Geoff at Full Race calls it the S200SX 75-70.
A good place to start reading about this turbo is in post #189 and #190 here:
2010 Borg Warner Airwerks Turbo catalog - Page 13 - evolutionm.net
Then go to post #232 in the same thread, and around this point the focus shifts to the EFR series.

Back in June, Kurt Henderson at Airwerks gave me some part numbers for complete assembled S200SX-56 turbos using the larger recirc (anti-surge) inlet style compressor housing. He told me:
178034 – 1.22 A/R
178042 – 1.27 A/R
(both twin scroll)
Be aware that almost all of the information you may find about the S200SX is mixed up and confused. Usually people show the compressor map for the anti-surge model with pictures and part numbers for the smaller non-anti-surge model. There are versions of it with smaller compressor wheels. The 2 part numbers above are pretty much guaranteed correct for the 56mm inducer with anti-surge inlet in the approx 7 inch OD compressor cover.

Then there is the "new tech" EFR 7670 which you could say is the S200SX 75-70 taken to the limits of current technology. (Ceramic ball bearings, forged milled compressor wheel, titanium turbine wheel, thinwall stainless turbine housings, etc.)

BorgWarner EFR 7670 Turbo - Full-Race.com

Neither of these have anything to do with Bullseye. They are BW all the way. You just about have to be ready to go twin scroll to use any of these, with custom turbine outlet piping, although they are offering I think 1 single scroll option for each EFR model.

These turbos are definitely worth watching. They are introducing "the game changers" first. Then later, supposedly, they will add some more turbine housing options to make it easier for people to stick with their current exhaust parts if they want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing I might be wrong but isn't it bullseye that produces the bolt on turbine housing?

Oh I was under the impression that it meant it would have a Dsm flange and an exhaust side that bolts up to a Dsm 02 housing.

So if I have an FP exhaust manifold and a PR o2 housing will this turbo be bolt on for me?

Oh I was under the impression that it meant it would have a Dsm flange and an exhaust side that bolts up to a Dsm 02 housing.

Yes, as I remember that's what it is made for.
You can get the bolt-on housing in 2 styles - with internal wastegate, or made for external gate, like this chart from the BullseyePower web site:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/URL][/IMG]

FP manifold would be just fine.
Punishment Racing O2 housing, if it is made to bolt up to a mitsu style turbine housing, then that should be fine too.
You should check with somebody who has actually had one though, to see if there are little problems with how things line up or any other issues. Lots of people in here, AWDer, Steve93Talon, 2gGSX, Keltalon, Dsmmatt28, others. They've all posted info and pictures, mostly about 2 or 3 years ago.

This housing though is for the "classic" S256 and S259, not for the newer S200SX or EFR turbos. If you want a DSM style housing for one of the new turbos you would have to talk to David Hall at Bullseye, see if he has anything cooked up for them.

Ok theb I was on the right track! Problem is I've been searching and searching and this is pretty much the best thread I've found! And believe me I do a shitload of searching for many different things!
This is the other good thread:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/273389-borg-warner-s200-bullseye-s256-review.html

Thanks so much that actually reassures me! I hear the term bolt on alot. And as many ppl have exprienced, bolt on is sometimes a lie. It's nice to see a good reliable product still being made for a 10 year old car!

I've been running an external wg ever since I got my e316g. Unfortunatly I was a noon back then and I did alot of this that I shouldn't have! I got a turbosmart 38mm ultra gate! Should have gone tial, wish I knew what I know now!

Thanks for the oil line question, and I'm sure that's running off the OFH?

Well being fwd and all I need a little bit of lag. But how fast of a spool? My e316g hits max boost by 3k ish. But as you know when the e3 kicks in it's all wheel spin in first even with my quaife :( . Biggest mistake was getting fwd :(

the .55 a/r DSM turbine housing is available in a "regular" frame and a "small" frame housing. Consequently, the "small" frame can use the 56mm compressor wheel in a slightly smaller compressor housing than the 7" version with the 4" inlet. The "small" frame has a 3" compressor housing inlet. Then, the "small" frame's turbine housing uses the 69.5mm and 61.5mm wheels (instead of the 74mm and 64mm wheels in the "regular" frame style) which further decreases spool time. I got my information from a vendor, Pure Tuning Inc., that sells BW-BP turbos. I chose the "small" frame S200 for the decreased spool affect.
Jim

Bullseye Power Turbos
Products - PURE Tuning Inc. -

Hey - thanks for posting that info!
The S200SX is also a "small frame" and uses that same size (69/61) turbine wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if the same turbine housing you are talking about would fit on a S200SX.
I like Pure Tuning. They've posted some of the best dyno testing you can find anywhere on the S256 and S259 using the .55 a/r housing, over on evom. It was T3 though, with tubular mani and cams.

I bought my Shearer tubular T3 manifold from Keith at Pure Tuning a while back. I bought the "hot parts kit" which includes O2 housing for T31 (Garrett) style 4 bolt outlet and dump tube. Then I needed gobs of money for other stuff and my car mods have been on hold ever since. I don't even show the Shearer stuff in my profile kuz it's not on the car yet.

Keith (and Ron Shearer) told me at the time that they could build an O2 housing to bolt to the bullseye turbine outlet, but they would have to have the turbine housing at Shearer Fab while doing it, because it would be a special. That again is for T3 stuff, going to a stock location DSM down pipe.

The 56mm inducer compressor wheel for the small frame has a 76mm exducer. I don't see that one listed on the Pure Tuning page but I imagine they could get it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back