The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] pacesetter turbo manifold any good? (No.) [Merged 5-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsiawdspeed

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2002
Savage/Winona, Minnesota
I was looking in a magazine and they said that Pacesetter made a header for the turbo. Does anyone know about the quality or performance of the header?

LOL one of the guys that always bugs the shit out of me at the local drag, was bragging about buying one for $10 bucks, Everyone laughed and told him he was ripped off...

The sad part is everyone was right weren't they :LOL LOL

Pacesetter is doo doo when it comes to the DSM manifold. It doesnt matter if you wrap it or not its going to crack.
I bought an uncoated one from summit and wrapped it before I installed it, few months later it cracked.
I called summit and told them I wanted another one since mine cracked, they asked me if I wrapped mine and I said no, LOL. So I sent mine back and they gave me another one free. I put that one on and didnt wrap it, but painted it with 2000 degree paint. It only lasted a month then I tossed it in the trash. The wrapped one actually lasted longer than the unwrapped one.
Pacesetter has come a long way. I have a older set on my LT1 camaro, and I have to replace the collector gaskets once or twice a year, and I have to tighten the collector bolts about once a month. Other than that they are decent.
My buddy has a set of ceramic coated ones on his 06 GTO and they are actually very nice, and have been very reliable and he has had no problem with them and he has had them installed for over a year.
But I strongly advise against buying the pacesetter DSM manifold.

Hey guys I have one of these manifolds.. I just bought it and I guess they are crap.. Should i just sell it?
Yup. Sell it and buy a ported 2G manifold.

Of course the choice is all yours, but if I were in your shoes and on a limited budget, then the ported 2G manifold would be my choice.

Hey, ok, i read this entire thread on the thing pacesetter and im in a tough position. I recently won a NICE grab on ebay for $431: EVO III turbo, Injen Intake and pacesetter mani. I thought it was a good deal anyways. I started to research this mani, now i dunno if i just want to port my 2nd gen mani or have the pacesetter welds beefed up and ceramic painted?...Will a 2nd gen ported mani give me as much gain as the (beefed up) pacesetter?

I Have a ceramic coated one on my car no problems here

same here. have had it for a while now and i'm very pleased with it unlike what most people say here. its not cracked/discolored at all and has actually cooled down my under-the-hood temps. the only thing i could find wrong is that i had to cut the 2nd and 4th studs shorter because they here hitting the tubing, preventing it from going on completely...

my car came with aftermarket pace setter headers and a full 2.5 inch exhaust with a 4 inch muffler and it sounds like complete shit. like when i hit about 3k rpm's it starts to sound like a effing honda like high pitch and its really annoying. i want to get the stock muffler put back on it but my buddy said that it might be from the pace setter headers. but i dont want to put a stock muffler on it and have it sound the same. anyone have any advice? thanks

Lose the Pace setters they are nothing but junk. Im suprised they arnt cracked already or maybe they are sense you said it sounds like shit.

based on what you guys said to loose the pace setter headers, i defiantly will thanks for that info. but i think i am going to go get a stock muffler put on tomorrow to limit the sound, i mean its a non turbo, if it was a turbo id probably get a performance exhaust. do you think the pace setter headers would make the stock exhaust sound shitty as in like loud and kinda ricery

id hate to say it but the ebay header i bought owns the pacesetter in quality i seen one at a swap meet that the guy was selling after 2 months of use and he said it was the worst thing he ever bought and it was chipping up

Considering I have Monza Pacesetter headers and a Monza Pacesetter cat. back exhaust I'm a little offended by this thread :p. Personally I don't mind the way it sounds, but to each his own I guess. I've had my headers on for 5+ years, not one crack, they've been great to me.

If you go on eBay you'll find out 2 things, 1) there is not a very big selection of 90-94 non turbo headers and exhaust systems and 2) Monza Pacesetter is actually one of the more expensive brands for non turbos. It's much better quality than that cheap chrome crap (which burns off in like a month) that they sell on there for a bargain price.

I would just ditch the PS Muffler and put a 2.5 strait pipe it will sound better and will set you back 10.00

Considering I have Monza Pacesetter headers and a Monza Pacesetter cat. back exhaust I'm a little offended by this thread :p. Personally I don't mind the way it sounds, but to each his own I guess. I've had my headers on for 5+ years, not one crack, they've been great to me.
The long tube N/T headers are a different story. Notice this thread is specifically titled "pacesetter turbo manifold". Your headers are longer and more structural, and don't have to support the weight of a turbocharger and the added heat.

I would expect a Pacesetter header for a naturally aspirated car to be just as good as a Hedman or Flowtech header.

okay the thread i posted on this got deleted or moved and i cant find it, i really dont know where else to post this. okay i just put a stock muffler on my car to hopefully get rid of the loud exhaust. its pretty quiet, almost just right but one thing that didnt change was kinda of like a raspy higher pitch sound. i hope you kind of know what i am talking about. it also has 2.5 inch exhaust. before i changed the muffler it was god awful loud and the raspy sound was so overwhelming. now with the stock muffler is defiantly made it ''drivable'' to my standards. all i really want to know is where am i getting the raspy noise from. i have a pace setter header 2.5 exhaust and stock muffler. im thinking its the pace setter's becasue i herd they were junk from everyone ( it came on car). so do you think that the raspy sound is from the headers? let me know what you think!

The long tube N/T headers are a different story. Notice this thread is specifically titled "pacesetter turbo manifold". Your headers are longer and more structural, and don't have to support the weight of a turbocharger and the added heat.

I would expect a Pacesetter header for a naturally aspirated car to be just as good as a Hedman or Flowtech header.

I was pertaining to this guys post...

my car came with aftermarket pace setter headers and a full 2.5 inch exhaust with a 4 inch muffler and it sounds like complete shit. like when i hit about 3k rpm's it starts to sound like a effing honda like high pitch and its really annoying. i want to get the stock muffler put back on it but my buddy said that it might be from the pace setter headers. but i dont want to put a stock muffler on it and have it sound the same. anyone have any advice? thanks

He owns a N/T, it was actually a thread he started but it was merged with this thread its on now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back