The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Buying a DSM. What was the best year of the 2nd gen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptopcobra

Probationary Member
Apr 15, 2003
TexasUS
well, my friend is looking to buy a DSM, most likely an eclipse. its gotta be a 2nd gen. i dont know too much about DSMs but i was wondering if any of the years of the 2nd gens were better then others. like with my mustang the 87 and 88 models had speed density meters and the 89-95 models had mass air meters which was much more cooperative with engine mods. so what years should i look for? definately a 5sp, but thats all that matters. it doesnt matter what model (RS, GS, GST, GSX). ive heard things about crank walk. is this a serious issue? i just want to get to know these cars a little better since im going to be the one wrenching on it.

Crankwalk's serious if you get it. It's unclear why some do and some don't.
Be sure to consider Talons in your search, same car other than the bumper covers, but they tend to be a bit cheaper. Go for either the lowest mileage, or best add-ons, depending on what he intends to do with it.

Originally posted by cfusionpm
you want a 97, 98, or 99 GSX. you will kick yourself if you dont get the all wheel drive.

i disagree, i initially wanted an awd dsm as well, but i later found out i would rather have the fwd. i rarely go to the track, and when the racing scene in your area is centered around highway rolls having fwd is very nice...gsxs are horrible roll cars.

its going to be a daily driver so it needs to have somewhat good mileage. it also needs to be stock because he wants to be sure it isnt all ragged out. usually the stock ones are in the best condition. add ons are not a factor. im just asking, stock for stock, what year was the best right out of the factory of the 2nd gens. were any motors stronger then another, any have a better computer or better parts stock.

so is the general idea of it "the newer is is, the better it is"? so the best is 99, then 98 then 97 and so on? what about internals? im sorry im relating everything back to the mustang, but from 87 to 92 they used forged pistons (strong, kinda heavy, but good for compression) and then in 93 for some stupid reason they used hyperutectic pistons (lighter, weaker, crappy for boost or compression). is there anything similar to this in DSMs? also, what should i look for when buying? any key points to keep an eye on?

95 had 6 bolt motors. IMO, the cream of the crop.

Originally posted by LandoAWD
95 had 6 bolt motors. IMO, the cream of the crop.

6 bolt as in 6 bolt mains? did the rest only have 4? so basicly the 95's have the strongest motors? was that on all models (RS, GS, GST, GSX)? sorry if i sound like a complete newbie, but i gotta start somewhere.

all this sounds like fun. im starting to consider getting one for myself. im sure even a nice GST will make WAY better mileage then my mustang (about 10mpg on a good day). do these things make good daily drivers? if i get a GST or GSX i might just make my stang a strip only car and keep the eclipse street legal for messing around with people on the streets.

so did the 96 and up have the PROM computer that has to have a laptop connected to it at all times and doesnt retain tuning input from a tuner?

for anyone still here wondering, the main thing to look at is if you want a 6 bolt motor or not. i have a 98 but just have it as a street car for now. in my research i haven't noticed anything that would deter me from any year or model dsm, as long as it's 4g63t! i would be happy with any of them, because i don't plan on going over 500 horsepower. that is until i get there LOL. if you plan on going full blown drag car you would want to look at either a 1g or 2g auto gsx. just my 2 cents

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back