The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Buying a DSM car. 1 of 2 options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escoliarth

Probationary Member
Jun 6, 2013
Orange County, California
I currently drive a 98 Eclipse RS automatic with minor mods for reliability. I want to buy something beefy with turbo, AWD, HAS to be manual. I'm sick of automatic and miss stick and eventually learn more about modding.

For my next DSM, I'm looking at either a 98 Eclipse GSX or a 95 3000GT VR4.
I am not very experienced in modding and am still a complete newbie on reliable mods and places to go to get serviced with reasonable prices. I'm going to be more active on these forums to learn more about modding and maintaining mods on top of routine maintenance.

Here are some things I know about the cars.

= 98 GSX =
-118k miles
-2 drivers
-dsm link ecu and comes with cable
-evo wheels JIC coilovers
-Punishment racing FMIC with intake
-Buschur turbo, hks 272 cams.
-Clutch and both master and slave cylinders replaced last year

= 95 VR4 =
-104k miles
car seems stock with wear and tear. oil burns and I think there's a leak.

I'd mainly use this car going to and from work but I travel too so daily driven with reliable mods that give me enough boost for fun but nothing too crazy. I've been a huge fan of both, GSX and VR4 so any help is greatly appreciated

Steer clear of the vr4. They're a pita to work on and costly. No such thing as a 'buschur' turbo AFAIK. Honestly I wouldn't mess with a modded car, especially with no experience. I started right where you are, with an auto 98 rs that I swapped to 5 speed. Then I bought a 95 gst and the fun really started

I own a 92 Stealth Twin Turbo and Cdc1221 is correct, they're a PITA to work on. But they're very rewarding cars if they've been taken care of. Mine's at 215,000 and counting. Biggest things to look for are the oil pans. Make sure the pan is NOT dented up! the pickup tube is very close to the pan and when dented, starves the engine of oil. It causes majority of the spun bearing problems. Other than that, look into the ECU and ECS computer(located in trunk area). Sometimes the ECS computer goes bad causing the car to buck. Just unplug it. If it has AWS then make sure to look over the lines for rust and of course ask about the timing belt.

Depending on the "leak", it could be the front main crank seal. Make sure to always get this replaced when doing a T-Belt job. If it's burning oil def do a compression test if possible. It's hard to get at the back bank due to the plenum.

Thanks for the info. Yea I don't wanna go mod heavy until I can find more information on how to mod and maintain.

If the maintenance is reasonable to fix up from leaks I don't mind investing money. Those cars are hard to come by but I want a car that stays reliable but can pick up fast.

I was looking into converting my RS into a 5 speed. I love the car and it runs great. Has an AEM intake with exhaust but I gotta bolt it down again since it got hit. It wobbles and sounds horrible but I was debating if its worth just buying a model thats already turbo and 5 speed or converting my auto into 5 speed and getting a turbo kit installed. I'll stay away from the modded GSX if it's something I can't handle. The vr4 is stock.

I'll have to do some research on how to spot these things too when I go check out the car tomorrow. Thanks

I would say look at the vr4. They are 4 doors great for commuting also, they come turbo and should be plenty for you to have some fun with.

If I were u I would just hold out until a clean turbo example shows, both cars seem like a hassle and if its your daily , your going to be missing a lot of work:) I would read about how to modify these cars right and what it costs to do it right the first time. Than when a stock unmolested 4g shows up you will know what to look for. But hey if your Already set on these two, its your money. Not to be a dick but people buy these cars and have no f'ing clue how to maintain them right then part them out and cry about how unreliable they are. Goodluck either way

Last edited:
Yea that's why I'm asking here. When I was told of the leaks I was like "I'll think about it". These cars I found were the best options but I'm not convinced they're solid. I'm most likely holding off until better options are available. I was primarily looking for the VR4 but I'm sold on the GSX as well. I know parts are more expensive on the VR4

Yea, the waiting game is the best option for you really. If u have to travel out of your town for a clean one, it may be worth it:) I would just keep looking. Don't think u have to settle, a good deal can be had. Another option may be for u to keep your daily and buy a dsm that somebody can't finish, u can probably get it for real cheap too! Just another option u know:)

I just read that you are from the OC! Cool. If I were you I would go looking for one. In SoCal. there are a TON of 1gs and 2gs ESPECIALLY in the more awkward of places. a few streets away from me is a 100% clean unmolested grandmother driven and maintained 1g awd 5spd. They do not want to part with it. LOL. I would go out and explore!

Unless you have very deep pockets i would stay away from the vr4. Paying a shop to do maintenance on it isn't going to be cheap. Not to mention you do not want to take a car like that to just any shop. Its also not the best option for a newbie to dive into to start learning on. A gsx is a much more suitable platform to teach yourself on.

A VR-4 isn't all that hard to work, compared to a DSM, yes, compared to a 300ZX, no. But either way, unless you got deep pockets, go with the DSM since you're still learning.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back