The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

buying a cl built motor? or rebuild mine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexGsxCummins

Proven Member
May 31, 2014
Bremerton, Washington
alright im in the middle of rebuilding my 92 gsx i have it completely torn apart and my original plan was i would build the block and head (i have a ghost list made up but i don't need to waist time posting it all) well basically i was cruising craigslist today and came across a 6 bolt motor for sale. I've already contacted a machine shop that is planning on doing the machine work to the head and block. but this guy is selling his for 2k obo with almost a identical part list i had planned - the valve springs are a different brand. NOW i got to thinking. me building my own motor will cost me around 6-8k i would imagine. so i am looking at the savings gap now. i e-mailed the guy who has not responded yet asking who built it, has it ever been ran or turned over. i don't want to spend this money to find out it has a horrible rod knock or something. what would you guys do? part of me wants to say i assembled the motor. but my bank is screaming at me to go the craigslist route. here is what the guys says about the engine.

The engine is a 6 bolt block that has been line honed, the deck has been polished, cylinders been honed .20 over, hot tanked, magnafluxed and been painted.
The crank: stock 6 bolt crank, that has been hot tanked, magnafluxed, and ground for .20 over bearings, and rebalanced.
The rods and pistons: The rods are forged Manley rods hung on forged weisco pistons with 8.5:1 c/r
The headgasket is a oem mitsubishi mls
The cylinder head: has be hot tanked, magnafluxed, deck has been polished, 5 angle valve job, with ferera valves, super tech dual valve springs, kelford 272 cams and bc gold adjustable cam gears.

Hard decision. Who built the engine, how long ago. I always wonder why someone puts that kind of money into an engine, then wants to sell in cheap.

Just to make your decision more difficult, check this post out.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1990-awd-for-sale.494411/#post-153525270

Don't know the reputation of the shop, but it sounds like a better deal.

looks kinda monkied and half done, but that is a great deal for all those parts, engine and a second shell

a little more insight, he told me the name of the shop and that they assembled the bottom end and he (the owner)assembled the top and mated them. never been installed/started the shop name is action machine in shoreline

It's always going to be a tough decision. If every thing he said checks out and it seems legitimate, I would go for it. At $1500 your looking at what used JDM motors go for on Ebay. Being 71 y/o though, I'm always leery of those deals that are too good to be true. Do your research. Might have stumbled on a fantastic deal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back