The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Buying a 420a. What to look for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrock5

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
Around, Connecticut
Hey guys, so my gf is on the verge of taking the big plunge and is about to look at a 97 420a RS tonight. I know plenty about the 4g63T platform but never really cared to research on the 420s.

Are there any BUYING tips (mechanical/cosmetic) you can give me that I should look for when I go look at it?

I mean like for example, on the 7 bolts, we always want to see if it has symptoms of crankwalk or stuff like that. :hmm:

This is a 97 Eclipse RS 5 speed w/ 194K miles. Bone stock and will not be modded.

Thanks guys!

194k miles - "Woooo! hope the thing had a belt job done to it!" Ask the owner on this one for starters.

Crankwalking only hit the 7bolt 4G63's due to a manufacturing defect when they first came out, thus being that late of a make, esp with a stock 420A motor, you'd be fine.

420A's are also what came in the Dodge/Plymouth NEON - they do fine for a good DD usage esp where you're keeping it stock.

Good luck-DSM

420a is a very good engine for the daily use. There is nothing special you should check when purchasing 420a, you should look the basic stuff like engine sounds, suspension noises, suspension bushings, transmission noises, get sure all the shifts go OK if any of them jumps or goes to neutral by itself then its bad, check engine oil leaks, if you can also extract the spark plugs to see how they look like to prove if there is a problem with engine, also if it's throwing smoke through the muffler, if it is there may be a problem with engine. etc..

All the basic stuff, check also the temperature try to keep it turned on for a while and run it after runing it leave it on to see if temperature goes up, if it does maybe there may be a problem with the engine head gasket, water pump and so on.

Maybe this is not the answer you were looking for, but I hope this help at least a bit :)

Good luck bro!

mike

Thanks for the input!

Thats exactly what I was going to ask him, about the timing belt I mean.

420a is a very good engine for the daily use. There is nothing special you should check when purchasing 420a, you should look the basic stuff like engine sounds, suspension noises, suspension bushings, transmission noises, get sure all the shifts go OK if any of them jumps or goes to neutral by itself then its bad, check engine oil leaks, if you can also extract the spark plugs to see how they look like to prove if there is a problem with engine, also if it's throwing smoke through the muffler, if it is there may be a problem with engine. etc..

All the basic stuff, check also the temperature try to keep it turned on for a while and run it after runing it leave it on to see if temperature goes up, if it does maybe there can be a problem with the engine head gasket, water pump and so on.

Maybe this is not the answer you were looking for, but I hope this help at least a bit :)

Good luck bro!

mike

Its a great answer, I mean I know what to look for when buying cars. Ive bought plenty of used ones. I just wanted to know if the 420's were prone to being crappy in a particular area. Like the example I gave you about 7 bolts being prone to crankwalk.

Valve seals and headgaskets are the only things on them prone to leaking.

You should drive the car, and then drive behind it. The 420a is prone to leaky valve seals, and sometimes can only be seen when shifting(early stages)

Other then that the car is also prone to leak a little oil. I would make sure the T-belt was done, and ###### ask for some proof of that. You dont want a backyard mechanic performing open heart surgery on the new addition.

Thats basically what it is. If it wasnt done correctly, you will have issues that cost a ton of money in the near future. Other then that, rock it!

420a's are awesome, and probably one of the most under estimated drivetrains on the road:thumb:

Thanks, very good input. How hard is it to do a 420 timing belt, compared to a 4g63?

I hear these engines are a pain to work on.

420a's are awesome, and probably one of the most under estimated drivetrains on the road
Prob why Chrysler shoved that motor in a lot of other vehicles of the same chassis. The 420A took over the older 2.2L SOHC motor that lived in practically every compact car that Chrysler came out - from the "K" cars to the Minivan (which was then stoked to a 2.5L).

Then later, they took the 420A, increased the stroke to a 2.4L (to give it more bottom end torque) so they could put it into their PT Cruisers, Calibres (which replaced the NEON) and the new "Jeep" Compass.

Then, for fun, they turboed (with a Mitz turbo) the 2.4L motor for the PT Turbo and the NEON SRT-4 "Skittle".

True, listen to other tips on buying a car with that many miles .. and hope the price isn't a gouging one.

How hard is it to do a 420 timing belt, compared to a 4g63?

You need a crank pulley removal tool - looks like a three clawed gear puller and another tool to press the pulley back on since the pulley is pressed on the shaft instead of being like the 4G63 where it just slides off. It has a one piece belt cover instead of a two piece, but the real nice thing is that the 420A has no balance shafts or belts to deal with - just the one belt and you still have the autoadjuster to deal with.

-DSM

Last edited:
look for a 4g63. :) just kiddingggg. did anyone say pull the plugs and look at them, compression test, pressurize the coolant system to be sure there aren't any hidden leaks. Oh and kick the tires, swiftly.

calling an srt-4 a skittle always makes me giggle:coy: If i ever lose to one i will total my car into the back of theirs at the next redlight out of shame and hate.

just kiddingggg

Prob why Chrysler shoved that motor in a lot of other vehicles of the same chassis. The 420A took over the older 2.2L SOHC motor that lived in practically every compact car that Chrysler came out - from the "K" cars to the Minivan (which was then stoked to a 2.5L).

Then later, they took the 420A, increased the stroke to a 2.4L (to give it more bottom end torque) so they could put it into their PT Cruisers, Calibres (which replaced the NEON) and the new "Jeep" looking vehicle on the Calibre chassis.

Then, for fun, they turboed (with a Mitz turbo) the 2.4L motor for the PT Turbo and the NEON SRT-4 "Skittle".

True, listen to other tips on buying a car with that many miles .. and hope the price isn't a gouging one.

You need a crank pulley removal tool - looks like a three clawed gear puller and another tool to press the pulley back on since the pulley is pressed on the shaft instead of being like the 4G63 where it just slides off. It has a one piece belt cover instead of a two piece, but the real nice thing is that the 420A has no balance shafts or belts to deal with - just the one belt and you still have the autoadjuster to deal with.

-DSM

Im not liking that pulley being pressed in too much...haha. And shes probably going to want me to replace the timing belt if she gets it. Damn!!

The guy wants a 1000 for it.

look for a 4g63. :) just kiddingggg. did anyone say pull the plugs and look at them, compression test, pressurize the coolant system to be sure there aren't any hidden leaks. Oh and kick the tires, swiftly.

calling an srt-4 a skittle always makes me giggle:coy: If i ever lose to one i will total my car into the back of theirs at the next redlight out of shame and hate.

just kiddingggg

Yup Im happy to say Im a tire kicker. haha I may pull the plugs but I may be too lazy to. Ill see how the car feels powerwise, even though a compression test would tell a lot.

man, i wouldn't skip it! seriously, if it turns out it has a small issue your going to be pissed when the car is in the shop and the money is in their hands LOL. I've skipped out on looking over everything before and just based my decision off of the test drive and it's bit my ass hard.

Ahh crap, yea I guess I should stop being lazy and do it. I honestly have never done a compression test on any car Ive bought, while looking it over.

Anybody know the socket size for the 420s spark plugs? Not sure if theyre the same as the 4g63. Im already trying to picture what other tools I may need. Im still at work.

Ahh crap, yea I guess I should stop being lazy and do it. I honestly have never done a compression test on any car Ive bought, while looking it over.

Anybody know the socket size for the 420s spark plugs? Not sure if theyre the same as the 4g63. Im already trying to picture what other tools I may need. Im still at work.

i cant remember off the top of my head but its probably the same as the 4g63. I use the spark plug socket that came in my socket set so its a prety common size.

with that many miles you should do a full tune up when you get it. All gaskets hoses fluids most likely a head gasket, water pump, belts, stuff like that. It only takes me about thirty minutes to change a timing belt on my rs and its not that diffucult. you have the passenger side and front motor mounts off so you can jack the engine up and down. When you test drive it, test the brakes at different speeds to check for warped rotors. Just don't expect to get it and not need to do any work to it. moslt likely you'll have to do some maintainance and a tune up as soon as you get it.

Yeah thats the first thing I do when I get a car. We'll see what happens when i go over and check it.

Thanks

If i ever lose to one i will total my car into the back of theirs at the next redlight out of shame and hate.
(Off Topic a bit..) Well, that Skittle may take you on the light, but you'll take him on the run since he'll run out of RPM's LONG before you will since he has so much stroke that they redline out at 6Krpms. Skittles and STi's are for Rally racing whereas we 4G63T runners are for the quarter mile straight drag stuff.

Why some DSM owners turn their motors from drag to rally with that 2.3L stoker motor mod.

-DSM

Thanks, very good input. How hard is it to do a 420 timing belt, compared to a 4g63?

I posted this up when I did one on a 420a.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-420a-specific/262003-timing-belt-replacement.html

-DSM

Yes. It look's like this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 98' RS Eclipse.......I bought it with 149k miles........It has treated (and is treating) me good. I'm at 169k miles... 1 year and half later....My problem areas: Ball Joint (Control Arm) drivers side: replaced.......Spark plug wire (bought new set)........The car is very reliable.......Non-turbo 420A's are a good daily driver.......as long as timing belt maintenance is done, and no mods have been done.......Mine was (and is) stock, and it's "bullet-proof"......Knock on DSM wood.......My only problem is when I let it set for a week, without starting it: (driving my Tsi).....The 420A hates sitting, you have to hold the gas pedal down and hold the key down, and it will eventually start......Then repeat, until the car is "warmed back up to running"........

I have a 98' RS Eclipse...My problem areas: Ball Joint (Control Arm) drivers side: replaced.......

I hope you didn't pay for that. Mine broke and since it was a recal Mitsu fixed it for free. Didn't cost me a dime. They even payed for towing and my car was sitting on the pavement.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...-lower-lateral-control-arm-recall-merged.html

mitsubishi eclipse parts > suspension

http://www.mitsubishisucks.com/cars/recalls/usa/eclipse-spyder.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back