The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Buying a 2G gst or gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yatesbrenden

Probationary Member
Jul 10, 2013
Payson, Utah
Has anyone purchased a 96-99 gst or gsx for under $4,000? That didn't have to many problems or none at all?

I had a friend that bought a 2g gst in illinois that was pretty decent. Has a few minor small rust spots on it that are barely noticeable, other than that its been about 4 months and no issues. Of course he immediately changed the oil and did a coolant flush, spark plugs, pcv valve, fuel filter, and wires just to be on the safe side.

I got mine for $3,200 (I think, maybe $3,500) and it had 123k miles, completely stock. It had no problems, basically no rust. Just did general maintenance for my own piece of mind and have had no problems besides blinker lights going out haha.

bought mine for $1500 cash the guy wanted 4k but im good at talking people down on the price. All it needed was basic tune up, spark plugs, fuel system cleaned etc....

if the 2G is clean I would travel to another state close by, sometimes that is the only way you will find a great deal. If I'm paying 4 grand for a 2G it better be in great shape and ALL stock, but that is just me. GOODLUCK whatever you do

Bought my 95 talon with 80,000 miles never modified from this old asian dude. Thing ran beautifully and boosted it to the sky.

they go from 2k up in california i took the long route and bought a tsi awd shell for 300 and put all the pieces in. i prefer it more because i know what is in it and when things need to get changed

Bought my 97 gst bone stock with the alt overcharge problem for 2k. Although the mileage said over 270k. If you buy one of these cars, my suggestion is trying to find one that is bonestock. Even if it has problems that need to be fixed. In my opinion building something up is better than buying some ones project who did not know what they were doing. Just my opinion.:thumb:

Just bought my gsx for 800. 96k. Needs general maintenance. And a little body work on the roof to make the sunroof work. The interior is in great shape, missing a headliner and it needs a paint job. But other than that I think I stole this car for this price

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^^^ You got one HELL of a deal. Nice find. I just paid 900 for a non running gsx auto. Pretty complete car and the engine is new. Atleast comp and leakdown say its new, like the PO said. I bought it as a donor for the swap and to part out and make atleast double my money.

My gst i bought with terrible rod knock for 1000 about 3 yrs ago, iirc. Time just flew by.

If I had any advice for someone looking it would be this: Just pay more for the awd. You will want it later. When you pass 400whp fwd is not so fun anymore. I bought my gst thinking I would be happy w fwd and the fact it weighs less and has less moving parts, therefore, less shit to break. Not worth it.
Spend the 5000 on a nice clean stock awd and be done with it. Non hacked wiring is a huge plus and something i would check for.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back