The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Buying a 1991 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997 Eclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2003
Manila, Asia
I am looking at buying a second Eclipse. It is a 1991 GSX. It has 55,000 miles on the clock and it is a M/T. The price is US$ 3800. Is this a good buy? What should I look for in a 1G Eclipse? What problem areas?

Thanks,

Dan

Well, the one thing to make sure you do is a compression test. with the car warm, I would shoot for 145 or better across the board and no more than a 14 psi dif between all the cyl. Also pull the intake housing off the turbo and check for play side to side in the cartridge and also in and out. There should be absolutely none going in and out and I would prefer none side to side either but I know there is a tiny amount allowed, just not sure how much. Is the car stock? If so, I would try to talk him down to about 3k, I know how hard 1g awd's are to find though so sometimes it is impossible and you just have to pay for it if you want the car that bad. the power windows will be slow on it, especially the passenger side, that is normal. I would have things like the brakes checked and alignment and such as well but thats really about all I can think of, the cars don't have that many problems. Check for transfer case leaks of course and that should cover you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back