The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Buyer Beware: Detroit Axle brand reman parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased a reman rack and pinion assembly from Detroit axle back in early 2019.

It started leaking shortly after install. I got around to pulling it to try a rebuild for myself this time, and once I took it apart I was horrified at what I found.

The grease in the rack was severely contaminated with blasting sand. They sand blast and repaint their parts, but it looks like they didn't bother cleaning it before slapping it back together with new seals. The leak got very severe, as you can imagine, and the extreme wear on the shaft and pinion made it drive like crap. It had a ton of slop in the steering.

I'm pretty pissed, I hope I can get a refund and compensation for my most likely ruined pump and contaminated lines. I am glad I kept my old core, I was able to rebuild it just fine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Whew! I dodged a bullet. I had ordered a reman rack and pinion from their ebay listing about a year ago for my DSM. They said it was in stock but it absolutely was not. They lied through their teeth about it the whole time and when it didn't ship when they said it would, I canceled the order.
I must admit, rebuilding my original rack and pinion was not a fun job, but at least I don't have sand in it!

Great.... I just installed one of their racks into my car a couple months ago. Hopefully I have better luck than you did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back