The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

buy 3000gt/stealth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesnow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2002
MISSOULA, Montana
I was thinking of buying a 3000gt. what year do you think is the best? and why. thanks for all the help

www.3si.org

Head there and ask, you got a whole forum full of people there that know about those cars. Granted, some people here have owned them as well, but there it's like, everyone :)

Thanks for the help. I have already been there but they wont let me post even though i have registered. So i thought i would ask the dsm crowd. maybe i will just go get a 1g.

my favorite years of 3000gt's are the 94-96, but only the VR-4. I don't like stealths, and i don't like the newer years, with their huge rice-bench/shopping cart handle wings.

A properly done first gen is damn sexy as well.

I don't like stealths, they look like ass, IMNSHO.

my amost brother in law has a 94 stealth that is riced out. I must kill him. :D

I would keep the dsm. The vr4 has the spoilers that move i always thought that was sweet. I was thinking one with the pop up headlights but they have 20 horsepower less than the newer ones. They would also be cheaper. I would get the vr4 im going for power not looks.

You'll want to get a SL or R/T 5spd. VR4 is very expensive but I guess worth the price if you have the money. The best? The 3000GT VR4 Spyder is a very rare car and has a very high resale price. TT AWD Convt. Nothin wrong with the stealths at all, cept you lose that nice quad exhaust you get the the 3KGT =(

Yeah I think the early ones with pop-ups are great looking cars. A good SL FWD 5-speed would probably weight 600-700 lbs less then a VR-4. Your sacrificing 80-100hp ( N/T v6 has 222hp, unless you get a SOHC) but loosing alot of weight.

Originally posted by DSMSpyder99
getting a non-turbo 3000GT/Stealth is like saying im gonna buy an N/T over a turbo E/L/T. You will be much happier getting a turbo 3000GT/Stealth over an N/T
Im not saying N/T's are better, VR-4's are awesome. But If you can't afford a VR-4 your still getting a great looking car with a 222hp V6.

my neighbor has a nice looking 3000gt. However, it's even worse than the eclipse when it comes to reliability, so take that into account, lots of things tend to break.

get a 99 vr4, everything on that car is amazing, no need to exterior change, the stock rims are chrome and there like 17's. just deck out the engine more, and you could kick some ass my friend

Originally posted by dewman0012
get a 99 vr4, everything on that car is amazing, no need to exterior change, the stock rims are chrome and there like 17's. just deck out the engine more, and you could kick some ass my friend

You don't know WTF you're talking about.

what are you saying then, you don't like the look of a 99 vr4? thats straight, i just think it looks the best out of them all personally. and whats wrong with modifying the engine? i don't think you know what your talking about, but hey, its thats what i think of 3kgt's

Stealths and 3kgt's are AMAZING cars. They have AWD, AWS (all wheel steering), ECS(electronically controlled suspension...push a button and the shocks firm up), electronically controlled exhaust...push a button and the exhaust gets loud or quiet and, of course, they are TWIN TURBO!!!
Out of all the sports cars that I have owned (90 IROC Camaro with 383 stroker, 98 TA with the LS1, full bolt-ons, and a 150 shot of NOS, 91 Stealth TT stock, and my eclipse...the stealth has been the most fun and HANDLED the best. I have driven new corvettes and about every other car out there and the stealth is second only to my uncles 98 Ferrari 355 when it comes to handling.
The only problem i had with my twin-turbo stealth was the transmission. If you plan on doing alot of launches then you better plan on getting a second job. I broke mine 3 times in one year. They cost $2300 for a rebuilt one and TRUST ME no one in your town can rebuild them. I took my transmission to 3 different shops(the rest wouldn't work on it) and each one gave the car back to me once they got into the transmission. All in all they kick eclipses A$$!!! BUT are much more expensive to mod. You can get a stealth TT or a VR4 for around $6500 but just MAKE SURE the transmission is OK or you will be calling Kormex transmissions out of California.
Sorry for the extremely long post, I just figured you would be interested in knowing more about something you might be spending a great deal of money on. If you have any questions about stealths or 3kgt's let me know, i know a good bit about them.

Here are some of my previous toys:

Attachments

• transam&stealth2.jpg
    transam&stealth2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 189
Originally posted by NASTYDSM
Stealths and 3kgt's are AMAZING cars. They have AWD, AWS (all wheel steering), ECS(electronically controlled suspension...push a button and the shocks firm up), electronically controlled exhaust...push a button and the exhaust gets loud or quiet and, of course, they are TWIN TURBO!!!
Out of all the sports cars that I have owned (90 IROC Camaro with 383 stroker, 98 TA with the LS1, full bolt-ons, and a 150 shot of NOS, 91 Stealth TT stock, and my eclipse...the stealth has been the most fun and HANDLED the best. I have driven new corvettes and about every other car out there and the stealth is second only to my uncles 98 Ferrari 355 when it comes to handling.
The only problem i had with my twin-turbo stealth was the transmission. If you plan on doing alot of launches then you better plan on getting a second job. I broke mine 3 times in one year. They cost $2300 for a rebuilt one and TRUST ME no one in your town can rebuild them. I took my transmission to 3 different shops(the rest wouldn't work on it) and each one gave the car back to me once they got into the transmission. All in all they kick eclipses A$$!!! BUT are much more expensive to mod. You can get a stealth TT or a VR4 for around $6500 but just MAKE SURE the transmission is OK or you will be calling Kormex transmissions out of California.
Sorry for the extremely long post, I just figured you would be interested in knowing more about something you might be spending a great deal of money on. If you have any questions about stealths or 3kgt's let me know, i know a good bit about them.

Here are some of my previous toys:

I thought Stealths didn't have ALL-WHEEL-STEERING, only 3kgts VR-4 had them? :confused:

Nope, they do....if they are twin turbo. The stealth TT and 3kgt vr4 are EXACTLY the same car mechanically. The only difference is some 3kgt's have the active aero system (moveable front lip and rear spoiler)

Ive been looking around because my talon has been a maintenance nightmare. I have seen a few early vr4 with low miles for sale. I heard that the transmission is the only problem and that they are almost more reliable than a 2g dsm. I only want a turbo model. What exactly does the aero spoilers do? thanks

They change their angle to give you more downforce whenever the car goes over 60 or 80 mph (i am not sure which but it is somewhere around there)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back