The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Send Us Your Photos for the 2024 Calendar - here's how!
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Burping oil cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mech Addict

Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2019
Jackson, Wyoming
The oem oil cooler on a 90 turbo has supply and return fittings that attach at the bottom. I’m getting ready to reinstall mine after a front case overhaul. Will simply mounting it up dry be ok to later have oil actually fill the whole thing after startup? I keep envisioning that it will only fill the first few core channels and leave air trapped in the majority of the core above. I’m not sure there’s an easy way to check later, apart from dismounting the cooler, flipping it upside down, and removing a banjo bolt.
Anybody else ever wonder about this?

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
I will fill and be fine. I rolled my motor over quite a bit to try and fill my new cooler and never did get it to pressurize so my son said, lets just try starting it and thats all it took. It fired up, oil pressure light went out and the gauge shot up to 95 lbs.

Tina94

Proven Member
Dec 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I was concerned about the same thing actually. Also bugs me how the oil filter spins on horizontally instead of vertically. Can’t fill it completely before installation.

Mech Addict

Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2019
Jackson, Wyoming
Got sidetracked on some bumper work, and ready to mount this now. Still bugs me that the banjo’s bolt to the bottom, when at least the outlet should be on top. I’ve still got plenty of actual reassembly left to get my car running, (and really need it running soon) so may have to bolt it in and hope for the best. Not usually my preference. Worst that could happen is it just doesn’t cool the oil as much…?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds