The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Burning through Wideband 02 Sensors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctrenks

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
I bought a non running car with a bad bosch wideband on a LC2 controller, went through a lot of testing and bought a new o2, worked great and had the car tuned to 450 at the wheels so all was good. Drove the car twice and o2 starts reading 22.4 range, pulled o2 and reset in open air, but still was reading off. Bought another one and threw it in worked great for 2 times driving then reads 22.4 range again. Got a 3rd on the way but something is not right. o2 location is in the mid section w/o cat, even tried soaking last one in gas for a few days and didn't come back.

Any suggestions I'm all ears as $90 a drive wont cut it

Make sure it's mounted correctly and also make sure it's got a full 12v to it at ALL times.
However I will say that I've been through easily 10-12 sensors in the last 4 years or so maybe more between my gsx and my truck both running lc2s. Thank god for warranties haha.
Gsx had the sensor about 2 feet from the turbo mounted straight up (following the mounting instructions) and now is currently only 8 inches or so from the turbo and mounted horizontal on the side of the down pipe (top mount turbo). Second position seems to be better so far. Truck is mounted at a 45 but out the top of the pipe after the fender well header right after the collector. Actually just replaced that sensor on warranty .. only lasted two months and was acting up since the day I installed it. Previous lasted two years or so.
Guy at Summit decided to pull out a Bosch sensor, Holley and AEM to compare and they were all Bosch sensors just re-boxed.
For me it always start flashing 7.4 like it needs recalibrated but then when I go to calibrate them it says the sensor is bad. I've come to the conclusion that it's a mixture of a cheap o2 gauge and cheap sensors. I've had sensors last year's then get a run that last only a couple weeks.

Use Bosch sensors only. Not google searched same number knockoffs. They will still eat the sensors just not as fast.
I told a friend to specifically get Bosch sensors only. He gets 2 Chinese ones off of eBay or wherever. I told him to send them back. In the end they just wanted him to give them a good review and just keep them. I would never use those.

I ditched my Innovate after burning through O2 sensors every few weeks. Mine was great until switching to E85. I did all the things you're supposed to try. Moved the bung and location about 5 times.

Autozone kept replacing them but they'd go out at the most incovenient time and if you are simulating narrow band there goes drivability.

I am not a fan of mtxl after that experience

I switched brands and not 1 issue since. I am not a fan of Innovate after all that. Even prosport/glowshift work better 🤷🏽‍♂️

I ditched my innovate after burning through O2 sensorse every few weeks.... mine was great until switching to e85. I did all the things youre supposed to try. Moved the bund and location about 5 times.

Autozone kept replacing them but theyd go out at the most incovenient time and if you are simulating narrow band there goes drivability.

I am not a fan of mtxl after that experience

I switched brands and not 1 issue since. I am not a fan of innovate after all that. Even prosport/glowshift work better 🤷🏽‍♂️
I’ve heard others say the same, and not saying you’re wrong but it’s strange as they all use the same Bosch sensors.

I burned a couple wideband sensors located in the o2 housing, installed the Innovate heatsink and haven't burned one up since.

I remember someone telling me about putting the wideband on a switch until warmed up to prevent the sensors from going so fast.
A proper platform shouldnt require that ....

I think e85 just cooks them from beimg hydroscopic... just look at the vapors from your exhaust on a cold morning with e85

Sorry I have been away then didnt drive the car for a long time! THe sensor kis located behind where the Cat sgould be, in sideways so there should be no issues with location or moisture there. It seems like it lasts about 2 drives, and short ones, I only put about 18 miles on this car since the tune! They are legit BOSCH sensors, the ony odd thing i can mention is the battery dioes for some reason if it sites folr a week, its a new battery so I'm sure something is hot while the car is off but I cant locate what is causing it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back