The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Burned processor on ecm 1990 eclipse 1g 4g37 MT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1g 4g37

Probationary Member
Feb 23, 2021
Levice, Europe
Hi guys i really need help something had blown my ecm processor (pictures bellow) i need some clues what could it be. Fellow mechanic said that it coul be from bad alternator so i measured it with car started on baterry it had around 14.50 volts when i turned every light on even hazards car had 13.50. Mechanic told me that the alternator is shot it should make ony around 13.8 volts but i am not sure that info is correct. Another thing is that i am going to buy used ecm and alternator from other eclipse bud i did research and foud that 1990 eclipses had different serial number on ecm than the newer eclipses mine has MD128658 newer ones have MD159561 is there any difference between these two? Thanks for your suppor maybe once this post will help someone.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Well you've definitely got some burned up component between the C108 capacitor and the D109 diode. ECU's are designed to handle constant 16 volts (maybe even 18 or 20) but a very large voltage spike can destroy them. 14.4 volts is a normal alternator output but it can vary with battery condition and electrical loads. Here's a link to ECU's used: http://simon.chi.il.us/ECU/ECUID.html.

There is a supporting vendor, ECM tuning, that should be able to help. They potentially may be able to repair your ECU, and you would not have to worry about compatibility of different part numbers. I had good service and low cost in my own experience with them. They can also offer some upgrades if you have future performance intentions. It's a rare wrencher than can diagnose and repair one of these. Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back