The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

buring oil at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseLunar

Probationary Member
Sep 7, 2012
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Would the turbo be doing this? Only burns bad during idle and when getting on it.

Would the turbo be doing this? Only burns bad during idle and when getting on it.

it could. actually when my turbo burned oil because the oil did not drain fast enough, car smoked %100 of the time, with grey smoke but clearly oil. not sure how it plays out when your seals go bad though.

how many miles on the engine? do you know how to do a leak down test?

Pull your exhaust manifold off and look inside the runners on the head. Mine did that, it is the old valve guides and seals. You might be able to get away with just new viton seals, but the stock ones are steel. Aftermarket are bronze alloys and can tighter guide to stem clearance. That with new seals from super tech it's what I'm doing. Could from pcv too, my car had oil all in a brand new intercooler that I cleaned with gas prior and brand new from extreme psi evo 3 16g. So I know it is from the breather and pcv system, time for a catch can.

Double check all your vacuum lines too especially your pcv valve and the line coming off the side of the valve cover that runs down to your intake tube. You may not be getting any crank case ventilation. There's an article on here about it, it's crucial to turbo engines. I'll try to find it and post it[DOUBLEPOST=1408903731][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok search in articles, engine and management, the 4g63t pcv system. Something to read up on, it'll be quick and easy to check, it's just a process of elimination before you narrow down the source

Last edited:
Pull your exhaust manifold off and look inside the runners on the head. Mine did that, it is the old valve guides and seals. You might be able to get away with just new viton seals, but the stock ones are steel. Aftermarket are bronze alloys and can tighter guide to stem clearance. That with new seals from super tech it's what I'm doing. Could from pcv too, my car had oil all in a brand new intercooler that I cleaned with gas prior and brand new from extreme psi evo 3 16g. So I know it is from the breather and pcv system, time for a catch can.

Just curious, what are we looking for in the engine head when looking into the runner from the exhaust manifold side, if the seal are bad?

I checked pcv it was good have to chexk the other line thou. Its stock with 119xxx miles. It only burns on idle after warm up and when boosting blue and greyish smoke comes out. Also when idling if you rev it up oil sprays out of back of exhaust. Iwill have to check plugs and get back to you. I hope. Its not rings LOL.

Hmm well good chance the turbo might be K.I.A. ? That could explain oil being in you exhaust. Could be spitting oil into the intake and out exhaust side. Maybe try taking off one of the intake pipes to look for oil before the intake mani

True, if my other two comments comes out negative, turbo prob needs to be rebuilt.

A simple test with testing turbo: take the hose off the front of the turbo and grab the wheel. You should have very slight play with lifting up on the wheel, but no play when you push and pull on the wheel. If you got play pushing and pulling on the wheel, shaft bearings are gone which is allowing the oil to be burnt off from leaking in the exhaust

To answer your question, you'll see oil all built up inside the runners on the head. It leaks down pass the seal and guide and down the valve stem. The turbo is easier to check, so do that first but if that checks out its either rings out seals well our pcv system isn't to good so even new some oil gets sucked in.

Valve stem seals

Attachments

• 20140210_191452.jpg
    20140210_191452.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 90
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back