The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Building a DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#1-1995GS-T

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Im not new to DSMs but im building my first one. I want to do a 98 gsx and my goal is 500+ mabye awhp. I was wondering what parts are a must have and is it possible for a first timer enigine builder to build something with those hp numbers

Honestly I think your questions were too broad as there are too many different ways to build a dsm to 500hp. You may want to check out 'Upgrade Paths' in the Tech section here on tuners. I can tell you that you will probably need the following to make 500awhp even somewhat reliably:

Upgraded fuel pump (and 500 if i'm not mistaken is pretty much maxing out a walbro 255lph pump), AFPR, probably bigger injectors which requires a means to control them (Chip, SAFC, Link, EMS, etc), Bigger turbo (and a means to control, moniter, and log boost), A clutch that can hold 500+hp, ARP headstuds, MLS HG, and a few spare trannys ready to ship to Shep ;) (or jacks, TRE, dogbox, etc)

Mind you these are just the BARE BONES. You will probably also need a Wideband, logger, maybe SMIM, cams, meth, e85, nitrous, i don't know too many variables and not enough info provided. Are you lookin to use a 2.0L? stroker? 4g64/G4CS? Lookin to run 500awhp all day long reliably? or one time shot at the dyno throwing mega boost and nitrous at it? See we need more details Check out the upgrade paths section though, probably your best source for this kind of information! :thumb:

Another thing to check would be the Dyno challenge under the "Member's" Tab at the top of the page. It lists all dyno numbers for the DSMtuners members. Using the hp number your looking to hit, check out their mod list that got them to that number.

Also, I would always encourage people to learn about their cars, however building an engine wouldn't be the first place to start. I would not recommend building it yourself, however if you insist on building it yourself, have a friend there who has built many engines before, or a dsmer who has built many engines before. Something as simple as using the wrong the type of oil used in the new motor can have devastating effects.

Im not new to DSMs but im building my first one. I want to do a 98 gsx and my goal is 500+ mabye awhp. I was wondering what parts are a must have and is it possible for a first timer enigine builder to build something with those hp numbers

you need about 10k if you want it to last

Honestly I think your questions were too broad as there are too many different ways to build a dsm to 500hp. You may want to check out 'Upgrade Paths' in the Tech section here on tuners. I can tell you that you will probably need the following to make 500awhp even somewhat reliably:

Upgraded fuel pump (and 500 if i'm not mistaken is pretty much maxing out a walbro 255lph pump), AFPR, probably bigger injectors which requires a means to control them (Chip, SAFC, Link, EMS, etc), Bigger turbo (and a means to control, moniter, and log boost), A clutch that can hold 500+hp, ARP headstuds, MLS HG, and a few spare trannys ready to ship to Shep ;) (or jacks, TRE, dogbox, etc)

Mind you these are just the BARE BONES. You will probably also need a Wideband, logger, maybe SMIM, cams, meth, e85, nitrous, i don't know too many variables and not enough info provided. Are you lookin to use a 2.0L? stroker? 4g64/G4CS? Lookin to run 500awhp all day long reliably? or one time shot at the dyno throwing mega boost and nitrous at it? See we need more details Check out the upgrade paths section though, probably your best source for this kind of information! :thumb:

im planning on building a 6 bolt bottom with a 7 bolt head. Bored 20 over, the whole works, mild cam and head job. Big 16g turbo mabye 20g but i dont know yet. and for the e-85, i dont know anyone near where i live that tunes dsms. theres a shop that built one but my friend got a car that was "tuned" from them and it wasnt.

now would those turbos get me to my 500 hp? i know i need other things but would those help alot better than a 16g or even a 20g?

and for the e-85, i dont know anyone near where i live that tunes dsms.

I also live in DMI :hellyeah: Automotosports (AMS) is only a short hop, skip, and a jump (well 6 hrs, but well worth the drive IMO if you need a quality tune) from Des Moines and there are several dependable tuners in the omaha area. Plus Iowa is like the E-85 epicenter, it's everywhere here!

I also live in DMI :hellyeah: Automotosports (AMS) is only a short hop, skip, and a jump (well 6 hrs, but well worth the drive IMO if you need a quality tune) from Des Moines and there are several dependable tuners in the omaha area. Plus Iowa is like the E-85 epicenter, it's everywhere here!

well the place i was talking about is wrenches, i dong know if you know what that is but they now tune cars, and i know a guy who tunes hondas but i dont know if he tunes the mighty DSMs. Well what if i just do bolt ons i.e big turbo, fuel, the whole works. How much hp could i get out of just bolt ons, and mabye a head job?

Them bolt-ons without a tune will get you a new motor. You can't just go and start slapping things on the car and think your gonna get to 500hp. You need to plan out what you really want to do and what order your gonna get parts in. That means research the part and what its capable of pretty much everypart has been t Unless your gonna just dump 5k to 10k and buy everything at once. I would suggest starting out rather small with gauges, mbc, and then a dsm link so you can start to get the hang of tunning and if you don't think tunning is your thing then you better have a deep wallet my friend to get to 500 hp. Good luck.

Them bolt-ons without a tune will get you a new motor. You can't just go and start slapping things on the car and think your gonna get to 500hp. You need to plan out what you really want to do and what order your gonna get parts in. That means research the part and what its capable of pretty much everypart has been t Unless your gonna just dump 5k to 10k and buy everything at once. I would suggest starting out rather small with gauges, mbc, and then a dsm link so you can start to get the hang of tunning and if you don't think tunning is your thing then you better have a deep wallet my friend to get to 500 hp. Good luck.

Im not just gonna do one thing and hope for 500hp. I know the money involved in a DSM, trust me. I was gonna do things one at a time, I was just wanting to know if the 4g63t could handle 500hp or around that on a stock motor. And I am gonna get DSM link, its on my list as #1.

Im not just gonna do one thing and hope for 500hp. I know the money involved in a DSM, trust me. I was gonna do things one at a time, I was just wanting to know if the 4g63t could handle 500hp or around that on a stock motor. And I am gonna get DSM link, its on my list as #1.

On a stock motor I would not go over 400 and even then its pushing it. Im sure 500 would not last long on a stocker.

Dont do it! Unless you have deep pockets and more time then you know what to do with it, you will regret every bit of it.

On a stock motor I would not go over 400 and even then its pushing it. Im sure 500 would not last long on a stocker.

what if i did some head work, mild valve train and cams. I know i have to get arp head studs. What about a thicker head gasket to make less compression. Theres a guy in town and my friend knows him and said that his head gasket is as think as a 70 page notebook. Do they make this for DSMs?

what if i did some head work, mild valve train and cams. I know i have to get arp head studs. What about a thicker head gasket to make less compression. Theres a guy in town and my friend knows him and said that his head gasket is as think as a 70 page notebook. Do they make this for DSMs?

You will still need to build the internals rods ,pistons etc. In order to be able to handle that power if your going to do it, do it right the first time. Just build a motor from the bottom up I would do a 6 bolt swap and make it a 2.3 so you can spool that bigger turbo and make the power. You need to provide us with more information though whats your budget what you going to use this car for is it your daily or straight race car? Another thing your going to have to build your tranny as well clutch, flywheel, forks, etc You can go many ways to get to that power just depends how deep your pockets are. Me personally I'm on a 4000 budget and looking for 350-400hp Im not really going to do much to the block other than ARP studs and cams and balance shaft removal. Leaving everything else stock for the most part and of course supporting mods. Just take it slow man you will get there you don't wanna just jump in there. Start off with your intake, and exhaust and dsm link learn how to tune then upgrade fuel, turbo and trans. And go from there. Even a mild 300hp DSM will surprise you. Well good luck.

You will still need to build the internals rods ,pistons etc. In order to be able to handle that power if your going to do it, do it right the first time. Just build a motor from the bottom up I would do a 6 bolt swap and make it a 2.3 so you can spool that bigger turbo and make the power. You need to provide us with more information though whats your budget what you going to use this car for is it your daily or straight race car? Another thing your going to have to build your tranny as well clutch, flywheel, forks, etc You can go many ways to get to that power just depends how deep your pockets are. Me personally I'm on a 4000 budget and looking for 350-400hp Im not really going to do much to the block other than ARP studs and cams and balance shaft removal. Leaving everything else stock for the most part and of course supporting mods. Just take it slow man you will get there you don't wanna just jump in there. Start off with your intake, and exhaust and dsm link learn how to tune then upgrade fuel, turbo and trans. And go from there. Even a mild 300hp DSM will surprise you. Well good luck.

Thanks. Im planning on having the car as a weekend car and a somewhat daily driver. I was just gonna get the car and do it step by step and i can do that cause i dont get my license back till june. So im doing this stuff to get it ready for me. And im planning on a $6000-$8000 budget. Plans might change. And i will be running a act 2600, and i was looking into a shep trans but i dont know for sure yet. And im a little afraid to so the dsm link cause i dont want to blow the motor but i think i can handle it. Thanks for all your input

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back