The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Build Plan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Concepts

Proven Member
Aug 20, 2022
Indiana
I wish to own a 2G Eclipse in the future, and I have done some research on these forums, and I'm wondering if this is a good build plan for around high 300s to low 400s in horsepower. Am I going overboard? Am I not doing enough? Thanks in advance.

- STM Intake
- S90 Throttle Body

- 16G Turbo
- STM FMIC
- GReddy FV2 BOV
- GrimmSpeed Manual Boost Controller

- Walbro 255Lph Fuel Pump
- FIC 650cc Fuel Injectors
- STM Fuel Pressure Regulator

- Competition Clutch Stage 3
- Competition Clutch Flywheel

- Mishimoto X-Line Radiator

- STM Cat-Back Exhaust
- STM High Flow Cat
- STM O2 Housing
- STM Downpipe
- FP Cast Race Manifold (STM Porting)

- AEM X-Series Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor

- AEM EMS Series 2

I would go with the Evo 123 intake & exhaust manifolds to help hit the peak power goal while staying responsive. The intake will help build the top end power, and the FP exhaust manifold is just added lag without much benefit. Some mild cams will be necessary to hit the power figure too, something like GSC S1 or Kelford 264.

Don’t need intake manifold and throttle body for that level. For pump gas, 660’s will due for mid/low 300’s. For closer to 400, E85 & 1000’s, 272 cams and a good tune.
is it possible to hit 400 with pump gas instead of e85? I'll look into 272 cams, thanks for the recommendation

He’s going with aem ems
Do you think I should do ecm link instead?

I would go with the Evo 123 intake & exhaust manifolds to help hit the peak power goal while staying responsive. The intake will help build the top end power, and the FP exhaust manifold is just added lag without much benefit. Some mild cams will be necessary to hit the power figure too, something like GSC S1 or Kelford 264.
Thanks for the information

Edit - is this the intake manifold that you're talking about?

is it possible to hit 400 with pump gas instead of e85? I'll look into 272 cams, thanks for the recommendation
I don’t think so. You’ll be knock limited past low 20psi. You’ll have to go bigger turbo if you want to stick with pump.

Alternative to e85 is methanol injection kit.

Ecmlink is great but it’s limited in the amount of inputs.

I don’t think so. You’ll be knock limited past low 20psi. You’ll have to go bigger turbo if you want to stick with pump.

Ecmlink is great but it’s limited in the amount of inputs.
Alright. What turbo would be a good upgrade for 400s? Isn't there a guide for turbos along with numbers?

Should I stick with the AEM instead of ECMLink?

I looked into both the 272s and the 264s, and I think that the 264s are right for my planned build. Thanks for the information.

Alright. What turbo would be a good upgrade for 400s? Isn't there a guide for turbos along with numbers?

I looked into both the 272s and the 264s, and I think that the 264s are right for my planned build. Thanks for the information.

20G or 68HTA would be a better choice imo for your 400s goal.

There are lots of options and it really depends on your budget. Turbo selection comes with getting the correct manifold, downpipe, wastegate and most importantly, fitment of all these parts. If you go with a certain set up, you’ll have to replace stock fans for slim fan and/or pusher type which elimates the ac condenser.
For engine management, who’s going to tune it? If you have someone, ask them which they’re familiar with. If you want more inputs, go with aem. Link is great and a lot of us still use it so you’ll get more help here from what I’ve seen.

There are lots of options and it really depends on your budget. Turbo selection comes with getting the correct manifold, downpipe, wastegate and most importantly, fitment of all these parts. If you go with a certain set up, you’ll have to replace stock fans for slim fan and/or pusher type which elimates the ac condenser.
For engine management, who’s going to tune it? If you have someone, ask them which they’re familiar with. If you want more inputs, go with aem. Link is great and a lot of us still us it still so you’ll get more help here from what I’ve seen.
Alright. I'm going to do some diving into turbos and look into what fwdmaster recommended. I intend on daily driving this car, so deleting the AC condenser is the last thing I want to do. I may not be able to hit my 400hp goal, and that's okay. I don't have any tuning plans or tuner connections yet, because this is a project for a few years down the line, I just want to have a plan whenever I'm ready to start working on an Eclipse. I'm probably going to use a Link, because another guy said that they're pretty good and easy to setup, which is good for me. Thank you for the help.

20G or 68HTA would be a better choice imo for your 400s goal.
is this the 20G turbo that you were talking about? If I buy it with the J pipe and turbo manifold, is that all I need to mount it to a 2G?

is this the 68HTA? if so, I'm definitely going to choose the 20G over it, as I want to try and make it a relatively cost efficient build UNLESS it can guarantee me the 400 mark with the other parts I'm looking at.

is this the 20G turbo that you were talking about? If I buy it with the J pipe and turbo manifold, is that all I need to mount it to a 2G?

is this the 68HTA? if so, I'm definitely going to choose the 20G over it, as I want to try and make it a relatively cost efficient build UNLESS it can guarantee me the 400 mark with the other parts I'm looking at.
If you decide to go with a 20G I would go with an MHI oem 20G not that China 20G from that link.Yes, you would need that j pipe and 2g install kit and you’ll be good to go.

Only stuff I'd change is bigger injectors (no reason not to), bigger fuel pump (walbro 400 etc-no reason not to), no s90 throttle (waste on money) and bigger turbo. Maybe an hx35 7-8 blade in BEP-mitsu housing would do well for your goal. A very common turbo on dsms.

I'd also start with ecmlink to get your feet wet. Easier to learn and more people with ecmlink experience on these forums.

Only stuff I'd change is bigger injectors (no reason not to), bigger fuel pump (walbro 400 etc-no reason not to), no s90 throttle (waste on money) and bigger turbo. Maybe an hx35 7-8 blade in BEP-mitsu housing would do well for your goal. A very common turbo on dsms.

I'd also start with ecmlink to get your feet wet. Easier to learn and more people with ecmlink experience on these forums.
Yeah another guy told me to get rid of the throttle, so I intend on doing that. I'm going to change the exhaust manifold to something different, if one of the users that recommended it to me ever gets back with some more information. I'm probably going to get a new intake manifold, too, because that same person brought up good information on why it's nice to have. I've looked into other turbos after this thread, also, and I haven't heard of the hx35 yet. I'll make sure to look into that to see if it's right for me. I'm unsure I would want to put any more money into bigger injectors or a bigger pump, because I never intend on making this build go more than low 400s. Someone else also brought up the ECMLink, so I'll make sure to get that instead. Appreciate the help.

Yeah another guy told me to get rid of the throttle, so I intend on doing that. I'm going to change the exhaust manifold to something different, if one of the users that recommended it to me ever gets back with some more information. I'm probably going to get a new intake manifold, too, because that same person brought up good information on why it's nice to have. I've looked into other turbos after this thread, also, and I haven't heard of the hx35 yet. I'll make sure to look into that to see if it's right for me. I'm unsure I would want to put any more money into bigger injectors or a bigger pump, because I never intend on making this build go more than low 400s. Someone else also brought up the ECMLink, so I'll make sure to get that instead. Appreciate the help.
You can find bigger injectors and pump for cheap all day long. If you're on a budget then just go stock cams, intake manifold, exhaust manifold plus an hx35/hta68/20g/fp green.

Yeah you're right. I should definitely think about that. Maybe I should rephrase what I'm aiming for:

I want a car that can throw me back in my seat with a decent amount of g force whenever I do a pull. I rode in a newer BMW recently with around 400hp that threw me back in my seat and it was awesome. I want something like that. I know that HP isn't the only thing that creates that g-force, but I'm using it as a baseline. However, maybe I shouldn't be doing that. If you have any other advice regarding the g-force generation, let me know, because that's my primary goal. I want something daily-able and fun (the gforce and speed/power)

You could make 250whp and get that in your seat feeling. All depends on what you’re used to. You want it to not only make power but make power where you want it and you want it to be reliable too.

You could make 250whp and get that in your seat feeling. All depends on what you’re used to. You want it to not only make power but make power where you want it and you want it to be reliable too.
Alright. Thanks for the help. I think I'll get the build list that I want to get (along with the advice I've been given in this thread), and then be happy with the number I make. It should be pretty reliable too, if I keep the boost relatively low, right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back