The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Build motor advice e-85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst-turbo

Proven Member
Nov 7, 2012
Petaluma, California
Owned a dsm for a few year and it’s time to build the motor looking for some advice on the set up. Pretty much a street car/drag car set up building the motor for at least 700-800whp area not super familial with dsm engine have daily one for over 10 years with mild bolt ons. I do own a 600hp c6z on e-85 flex fuel. I got everything torn apart my questions are on my head what cams do I use for e-85 flex fuel, valves and springs? On block what piston and rod set up will be using stock crank. Compressor what head gasket and what machine processor should I do? I do have a shop familiar with dsm engines I’m a mechanic by trade so doing almost all the work just not machine shop work any advice would be great. Turbo set up? And tranny recommendation? I will be doing a rebuilt with welded front diff what gears should I switch and use. Thanks Everyone

That’s a lot of questions, with almost infinite answers.

There are a lot of piston / rod combos that make good power and are pretty proven. I used eagle rods and wiseco pistons in my build.

Also you need to build around your intended goals, so be prepared to spend some $$$ for the goals you specified.

Since you are looking for more power than I was putting out, I will leave recommending any specific parts for your build to others who are more knowledgeable than myself at those power levels.

Good luck with the build. Get ready to shred some axles at that HP.

Thats pretty big goal :thumb: Im running 10.5:1 compression with 272 kelfords and fp green at 18 psi e85 (under 400whp). Im pretty sure you would need so large turbo and high boost that car would be pretty limited usecase. Keeping head from lifting and drivetrain upgrades would need to be pretty impressive tho!

I think it can be done but i cant think who needs more than +400whp if you cut some weight off from car tho :D

My question is all over the place let’s focus on the main question motor set up rods and piston and cam set up for e-85 really want to order parts this week thanks guys been doing lots of research and don’t want to pull the trigger on parts just yet

I can only speak for myself personally, as a tech that has been in thousands of engines, done the machining on them, and have seen so many rods and pistons and internals that it would make your head spin, I really am not a fan of off the shelf/shelf stock parts when it comes to a proper high horsepower build, for anything over 500hp I would go with custom pistons, custom rods, custom rings, custom wrist pins if you want it to be right and last a long time, the machining is just as important as the parts, find a machine shop that can get your cylinders as perfect as possible, that means torque plate honing them, machining the block and head decks until they are perfectly straight and flat and you should be able to comb your hair in the finish, the blocks main bearing journals need to be align honed unless they check out perfect WITH your main studs of your choice (aftermarket) installed and torqued. Before you ask about custom piston brands, here are some that I know of: Wossner, Venoilia, I think JE, and a few others make custom pistons, and rods, you would need to do your research, I use Pauter, they are made on order one at a time, the rings Total Seal makes custom rings, these are just companies that I deal with that I know make these things, there are others, do some searching and others will chime in with what they have experienced also.

Owned a dsm for a few year and it’s time to build the motor looking for some advice on the set up. Pretty much a street car/drag car set up building the motor for at least 700-800whp area not super familial with dsm engine have daily one for over 10 years with mild bolt ons. I do own a 600hp c6z on e-85 flex fuel. I got everything torn apart my questions are on my head what cams do I use for e-85 flex fuel, valves and springs? On block what piston and rod set up will be using stock crank. Compressor what head gasket and what machine processor should I do? I do have a shop familiar with dsm engines I’m a mechanic by trade so doing almost all the work just not machine shop work any advice would be great. Turbo set up? And tranny recommendation? I will be doing a rebuilt with welded front diff what gears should I switch and use. Thanks Everyone

your welcome

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Watched that video today, it’s full of good info.

Running that high compression e85 is a must.

I’m using 9:1 compression for my build and it’s true that the higher the compression the less margin for error there is while tuning.

As far as what parts, I’m no help. Only got to ~500 hp on my build, which is enough for me.

Good luck with your build!

I run 10:1 pistons in my e85 only motor. I have not found it to be any harder to tune. If you are experienced with tuning dsm's it isn't a issue. Off boost response is better and it doesn't require as much boost to make good power. Heck my set up turned down to 25psi and only 12 degrees of timing logs 54lb/min.

I run 10:1 pistons in my e85 only motor. I have not found it to be any harder to tune. If you are experienced with tuning dsm's it isn't a issue. Off boost response is better and it doesn't require as much boost to make good power. Heck my set up turned down to 25psi and only 12 degrees of timing logs 54lb/min.
Yep! Timing gets fancy with high comp motors on e85. Before i was running almost as much timing i wanted on 8.2:1 but after tossing in 10.5:1 im pretty much down under 15 at just 18 psi.

Yep! Timing gets fancy with high comp motors on e85. Before i was running almost as much timing i wanted on 8.2:1 but after tossing in 10.5:1 im pretty much down under 15 at just 18 psi.
What fuel are you running on? I wouldn’t run 10:1+ on less then e85 or 110 otherwise it will be miserable due to such low timing.

What fuel are you running on? I wouldn’t run 10:1+ on less then e85 or 110 otherwise it will be miserable due to such low timing.
Im running only e85. I think it would be impossible to run high comp motors with normal fuel and make reasonable power out of it boosted. There is really big difference in timing charts going past 10:1 but there is also alot of torque to be gained at lower boost levels. Smaller turbos would be really nice at higher boost levels.

Could be so. The reason I like the 10:1 is even with my lazy turbo after playing with cam overlap the car drives around town well out of boost. But yes above 30psi and I am only running 14 degrees or so of timing.

Could be so. The reason I like the 10:1 is even with my lazy turbo after playing with cam overlap the car drives around town well out of boost. But yes above 30psi and I am only running 14 degrees or so of timing.

Absolutely! Low end torque while not boosting makes car totally alot more drivable. Could not agree with you more.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back