The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

build a strong awd 5sp tranny.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowayout

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
green bay, Wisconsin
Well my great stock clutch let go yesterday. Lasted 30k mile previous owner and 1k with me driving LOL!

I need help on what part to get to make this tranny hold when I'm pushing out a lot off power 500hp +.

Here hat I'm getting for sure.
After market loghten flywheel.
ACT 2600 w/street disc.

BM billet shift forks
BM fron limited slip setup ( maybe quafie if buget permits here)

The thing that I need help on is gearing which one is weak and needs to be change?
Also Syncro which needs to be improve too.

Any info will be appreciated.
And no I'm not letting someone else do this for me.

LUe

Go to TRE (Team Rip Engineering). They have beefed up EVERYTHING along with some custom ratio gears to match your power output. Just don't be in too much of hurry (just their reputation to be slow).

Do you know there phone number or web site.

they are slow, paypal's them august 6th for my flapper, finally got it today..

TRE is slow to get your parts to you but you get top quality parts and Jon is AWESOME to deal with whether it be asking a million questions of what to do or "trick mods" he can share.
On the flip side... BM Tranny is good as well as is Shepherd. Do some research, search all the forums of here and DSMTalk regarding modified trans and such and come to your own conclusion. Took me a good month of searching and reading to come to my decisions.

Personally, I went with TRE for my parts and I will be rebuilding the trans... this weekend actually. I am going to... hopefully.... be pushing 400WHP and so I built my car around that goal. For the trans I got: Modified 1st/2nd gear set, double 2nd syncro, all new TRE-spec syncros, TRE-spec EVO shift forks, TRE-spec shift rails, new magnet, trans filter, Speed Design 4-spider diff (They are awesome to deal with as well), all non-reuseable parts (bearings, seals, oil, etc), and also replacing some worn OEM parts like the slave cylinder.

If you got the cash and the time to wait and want a fully built, kickass trans, I recommend you sending yours to TRE for them to rebuild it with what I listed as well as their all new double syncro 3rd and 4th and if you race on the highway and don't mind the gear whine, grab their top speed 5th for the ultimate in top end.

Also, I have a friend who has a full race trans from BM Tranny and he swears by it so going with them isn't a bad deal either. I know them and they are a good bunch of guys who run a good business. I am going with them for parts for my spare trans actually. Might get a chance to compare parts and quality if I somehow grenade the TRE trans.

You could also go with a SHepherd-built trans as another friend of mine id. Still has yet to install it, but I am sure it is top notch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back