The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Budget Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araider

15+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2005
Mundelein, Illinois
Dsm'ers i have a question. Im looking to start upgrading my exhaust system. Honestly i think ill only need a 2.5" setup. My question is im on a huge budget with my car so im looking for the cheapest cat-back that will still be free flowing... I have a 2g GS-T (FWD, Obviously) Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated. One last thing when upgrading my exhaust i figured that starting with a cat-back, then going for a high flow cat then to the down pipe and 02 housing (Stage-1) would be the best route, Does anyone think differently or is that a good way to go about it?? Thanks :dsm:

my friend has a GS-T and he got his catback done for 110 dollars w/out muffler at a local shop 3" all the way back then he got a downpipe for someone else for like 100 and a used N1 muffler for 50 so...turboback (no cat) for 260 isn't bad since mine cost almost 600 but my apexi exhaust and his custom exhaust sound completly different at idle and low RPM's

How tight of a budget are we talking here?
For a penny budget consider:
Removing the resonators and replacing the piping w/larger pipes while still utilizing your stock muffler. Most muffler shops can make a decent downpipe (provided they have flexpipes, mandrel-bent elbows, gaskets, & flanges on hand). I'm using a stock-type muffler w/2.5" inlet, 2.5"-2.75" exhaust piping, & a custom 2.75" downpipe and the flow is awesome. Don't get me wrong here, it doesn't flow like the HKS Hyper (or Hiper) setup I used to have but it gives me the flow I need and prevents me from getting the tickets I don't want.

Megan Racing Downpipe from ebay-130 shipped
VRSexhaust.com has a tubing kit that includes hengers,flanges,etc. they also can preweld it for 60 to where you bolt it to the MR Downpipe and all you need is a 3" Muffler
the tubing kit cost 160 plus shipping for Aluminized Mandrel Bent 3"
and then i purchased a 3" Magnaflow race series for like 110 dollars on Ebay once again
model number 14828

good luck hope this helped

waiting2bl33d said:
my friend has a GS-T and he got his catback done for 110 dollars w/out muffler at a local shop 3" all the way back then he got a downpipe for someone else for like 100 and a used N1 muffler for 50 so...turboback (no cat) for 260 isn't bad since mine cost almost 600 but my apexi exhaust and his custom exhaust sound completly different at idle and low RPM's

I thought there was no real difference in sound between custom and factory?

My exhaust is just:
$110 shipped for a Megan racing 3" downpipe
$200 even for 3" piping from downpipe-back (no cat), and Magnaflow muffler

Got it done at a local muffler shop. So $310 total for a full 3" exhaust.

Booster-Shot said:
I thought there was no real difference in sound between custom and factory?

well there is like you can tell they are the same kind of car kind of you just need to hear it and you'll be like i like this one more or i like that one more i <3 my exhaust it really buzzes at idle were as his sounded like a diesl kind of i can't really expalin it but there is a difference.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back