The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

BSE bearing ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasadkins90

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2011
dayton, Ohio
So i have been thinking when doing the bse on my next 6 bolt build i think i am going to try to line the outter most bearing up to where the oil feed on the block only sees about 1/16th of an inch of the hole on the bearing. has this ever been done befor ? i might try it and see if that effects oil pressure in a positive way (meaning it will lower it about 20 psi or so) does anyone think this is a bad idea? any negative effects?

That sounds risky! How about just port the oil filter housing.

well i am going to port the ofh i just want to test some things ive never seen before. i would like to just do it and if its not enough (or goes horribly wrong) fix the bearing then port the ofh i just dont want to waste my time if it has been tried or is going to cause issues.

basically id like to keep the oil in specs to feed a holset from the ofh without a restrictor. i know the restrictor is alot easier but these cars didnt get to the levels theyre at today by taking the easy way out.

Interesting idea. Where are you coming up with 1/16"? I would be extremely cautious if you are to do this for fear of losing TOO much oil pressure.

For reference, the oil clearance for the balance shaft is .0012-.0024" for the front bearing and .0020-.0036" for the rear bearing. 1/16" is .0625".

Interesting idea. Where are you coming up with 1/16"? I would be extremely cautious if you are to do this for fear of losing TOO much oil pressure.

For reference, the oil clearance for the balance shaft is .0012-.0024" for the front bearing and .0020-.0036" for the rear bearing. 1/16" is .0625".

yeah im gonna watch everything as i am doing it i just threw 1/16th out there. im at work and i knew it woulld probably be a little much but just a round about number for an idea :thumb:

If you port the oil filter housing right than it will be fine. If you are still having problems than trim the spring. You are over thinking a problem that doesn't exist.

I'd worry that the bearing might rotate slightly when pounding it in, exposing too much or too little of the opening.
How about drilling a small hole in the bearing and press it in with the new small hole centered on the oil passage?

I'd worry that the bearing might rotate slightly when pounding it in, exposing too much or too little of the opening.
How about drilling a small hole in the bearing and press it in with the new small hole centered on the oil passage?

i was going to press it in thats what i was thinking but drilling a small hole would work too i might go that route instead and i know im overthinking a problem ive got a ported ofh on my 7 bolt im just looking for a different way to approach things and even with a ported ofh i still see over 80 psi at the turbo and the holset i would like to keep around 60 at o.t. its just an idea not looking to fix a problem just another solution.

Sounds like a terrible idea and the tried/trued techniques should be used IMO

ok other than everyone thinking its a terrible idea. is there any other ill effects other than low oil psi that people can think of ? i am gonna try it bc porting the ofh and trimming the spring isnt enough to run a holset off the ofh. just because it hasnt been done does not mean it is a horrible idea

Just run the proper restrictor for the turbo and you won't have an issue. There are TONS of people successfully running holset turbo's from the ofh.

Yep i just got my line from my buddy in atlanta for the gsx, were running the hx40 on the 2g, hes ran it on his car for years from the ofh, no problems.

Yeah, those guys are right. I shouldn't encourage you to experiment with your engine like that. It's way too easy to mess up the oil pressure. Besides, if you somehow manage to get the hole in the BSE bearing just the right size to keep oil pressure low at the turbo, you might have too little pressure in the rest of the engine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back