The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Broken tranny bolt PT2. PICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91tsitalon55

Probationary Member
May 21, 2011
Seattle, Washington
So I snapped one of the top tranny bolts:ohdamn: and its completely inside the hole. So I went and got an extractor kit and I made my own tool to get it out and as im trying to get it out the extractor breaks off in the hole:banghead: I dont know what to do anymore the titanium drill bits barely cut through the extractor. Any advice/ suggestions are appreciated.

Pic 1: The custom tool I made with the broken extractor
Pic 2: The broken Bolt before the extractor broke inside it
Pic 3: The broken extractor inside the broken bolt
Pic 4: Another pic of the broken extractor

Attachments

• lkjfasd.jpg
    lkjfasd.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 102
  • lkdfjgl.jpg
    lkdfjgl.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 75
  • lkasdjflaksdjfl;a.jpg
    lkasdjflaksdjfl;a.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 70
  • kljsdf.jpg
    kljsdf.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 86
try drilling out bigger and bigger extractor? if not drill bigger and put in heli-coil. if your good with a drill, drill just under the size of the threads and dig out with a pick(least recomended)

Yeah I dont think I can take it to a machinest. I dont have the time/ money. So do I just have to be patient and drill till the end of the bolt? Or do I need another tequnique

Dont use the curled extractors, they always break. Use the 4-point extractor instead.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is what i tend to use for broken bolts. Normally catches part way through. Never used it on a bolt that big though.

Is the bolt bottomed out and seized in the hole or simply you broke it by overtorqueing the proper bolt with the transmission installed? If the bolt is not bottomed out, you can grind a slot into the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver as it should have no tension issues, or you can use the proper extractor, or pick up an Irwin master extractor set with left hand drill bits, quality extractors of several variations, or you can try to remove the broken extractor tip. You would need the block removed and use a mill to drill through a broken extractor so you are simply wasting money on extra drill bits that way.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone

Ive looked all around for those left handed drill bits and nowhere to be found. Looked at lowes, home depot, sears, harbor freight and nothing.

Im pretty sure its not bottomed out its just seized in there. When I had the extractor in there at first it didnt even move the bolt at all it just twisted inside the bolt but was still snug in there

First, center punch it. Then try to coax it to turn by walking a punch around the outside in a counter-clockwise motion (pointed in and somewhat in the direction you're going). Hopefully this will jar it loose.

A left hand drill and bit set would probably be your best bet at this point. In lieu of the bits, you can use "screw extractors" whose tips look somewhat like that of a drill bit. This is an example of the set I've used, may give you an idea of the shape I'm talking about. They are all left handed (and sharp enough to last me through extracting oil pan bolts and exhaust manifold studs). Center punch it again for good measure. I don't remember what the grade (8?) of the bolt is, but it shouldn't be too hard to work with. From there you can start drilling with a size you're comfortable with then work up. If you have a reference for the skinniest portion of the thread, you know how large you can go without messing up the thread. That is, if you don't drill off-center. You may get lucky and have the broken bolt back out as you drill further through it, since there is less outward tension now that you've removed some of the material.

Work slowly and carefully. Whatever you do, don't drill too far. Wouldn't want you to turn the block into a boat anchor because an oil or coolant passage was punctured.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Alright Ill let you know what happens when I get the left handed drill bits.

Thanks you for all the info guys

The best purchase you will ever make is a high quality extraction kit if you are going to keep working on cars.

I would recommend the Irwin 3101010 unit. It is the master extractor set and is totally worth the money. If possible, find a friend who is a tool dealer as then you can get the drill bits replaced under lifetime warranty if you break one. You can find them as low as $195 or so. Your tool dealer (Snapon, Matco, MAC, Cornwell, etc.) may be able to give you a better price. I think I paid around $125 cash for mine from my Cornwell tool dealer in the past.

I know what thats like. When I bought my 95 gsx it had 2 broken tranny bolts:notgood:and the clutch was slipping. With the tranny out of the way, I drilled both bolts as big as i could to fit the biggest extractor this way it wouldn't break as easy. The first one came out smoothly, when I was getting out the second bolt my extractor broke off, but luckily it was sticking out far enough to grab it with a set of vice grips and twist it out of there. so i went out and bought a better extractor and on my second attempt it came out. The extractor i broke was from auto zone, poor quality.

Yeah i think my problem was i was using too small of an extractor and didnt drill deep enough

You get it figured out man? I'll be out your way and can stop by and take a look if needed. Have to pick up some tools from my garage. Shoot me a text if you need to.

nah not really gonna go tomorrow and get some left handed drill bits from a buddy. But when are you coming down my way? It would be cool to get some input on my build from you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back