The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Broken driveshaft damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crab1092

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2004
Hammond, Louisiana
I want to know how much if any damage is caused to other components when you break a driveshaft ? I know that the driveshaft breaks, but does it spinning around break the strut fork or anything else. I finally saved enough money for either my roll cage or stage 5 DSS driveshafts, but not both. I would rather get the roll cage but i will get the driveshafts if it can mess up other parts.

What can happen? Well, something goofy. What does happen? Pretty much nothing.

Just putting a disclaimer in there for lawyer reasons :p. I guess I can come up with scenarios that could happen if the moon was aligned with Jupiter and the cow jumped over the moon and landed on little boy blue etc.

Maybe in the middle of a holeshot it breaks and you pegleg and break the diff, Maybe it actually breaks off at the yoke and the axle goes flying around and smashes into things as it spins. Maybe the piece gets stuck and you will have to dig it out of the diff.......whatever, I've broken tons of them. Least of your worries.

The ONLY thing I MIGHT be concerned with is over revving on a launch

MB

i broke my driver side axle during a hard launch one time.. It broke at the yoke all it did was make a very big mess with all the grease and make me look stupid....

I say go with the cage!!!..

What type of cage are you going with?? and what material is the cage gonna be??

Cage it is then, seeing that i dont have too much to worry about breaking. I am going with an eight point chromoly cage. I wanted just a 6 point but the guy who is building it said he didnt feel like with the layout of floor that a 6 point would be good enough. I know nothing about cages and this guy builds his own super comp chassis so i trust him. He wants $700 to do a 8 point and that seems to be a really good price so he has my business.

Its definetly chromoly because he showed me the weight differences between that and mild steel. Things might be cheaper around here than where you live, i dont know. Other prices i got were closer to 1000 for 8 point and 1800 to 2000 for a full 10 point cage from other places. The price breakdown he gave me was $10 a foot for the tubing and he figured it out to need around 30 feet and then he was going to charge me 400 to bend and weld it. I think another reason he is cheaper is that he is just starting to do this as his full time job. He used to work for a shop but had a falling out with them and started his own shop that is at his house. I guess i am not having to help him pay off his small business loan.

He should be building it in the next few weeks so i will definetly post pics of how it comes out.

Dsmn man when did you hit 11.8? Vary niceee (with borat slang) .

Is a cage required for you at your local track? They make us put them in once you hit like 11.5's or something funny like that.

A buddy of mine built up his Lightening (truck) and ran a 10.2. He went to collect his timeslip and the track manager told him to leave and never come back without a roll cage. LOL.

I'd say go the axles. Being in the 11s, a roll cage is not need and it's a bi*** if it's your daily car having to crawl into the driver seat. Not to mention there is a part of the roll cage behind your head and you may have to problems with the cops.

Dsmn man when did you hit 11.8? Vary niceee (with borat slang) .

Is a cage required for you at your local track? They make us put them in once you hit like 11.5's or something funny like that.

A buddy of mine built up his Lightening (truck) and ran a 10.2. He went to collect his timeslip and the track manager told him to leave and never come back without a roll cage. LOL.
I believe it is 11.49 if I remember correctly, for a cage.

And Blitz, you gotta get on 2gnt more often :p

Team 2GNT Forum - Viewing topic #5708 - 11's @ 18ish lbs of boost

MB

My car is a track car only so i am not worried about having to crawl in and out it. The tracks around here follow the NHRA rules and require a roll bar at 11.49 and a cage at 9.99 or 135 mph. I am confident that if i turn my boost all the way up i will go a hell of a lot faster than 11.49 considering my 11.8 run was at 18psi. Also i have nitrous that i havent used since going turbo, but its definetly going to happen pretty soon. I am not going to say that i will run 10's yet but i dont think it is out of reach at all.

My car is a track car only so i am not worried about having to crawl in and out it. The tracks around here follow the NHRA rules and require a roll bar at 11.49 and a cage at 9.99 or 135 mph. I am confident that if i turn my boost all the way up i will go a hell of a lot faster than 11.49 considering my 11.8 run was at 18psi. Also i have nitrous that i havent used since going turbo, but its definetly going to happen pretty soon. I am not going to say that i will run 10's yet but i dont think it is out of reach at all.

If you can, post a link to the video for the run. I'd love to see how you're getting off the line. I think you posted one before, but the link didn't work.

Anyone else?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back